engine oil

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisasbloke

Reaction score
hi it might be a silly question i was watching a dvd of an engine rebuild and the bloke who was building it said he used diesel oil would that damage the engine if it is used in a 1600 type 1 upright engine

by Diesel oil i take it you mean oil designed to be used in Diesel engines, and not the Diesel itself? problem is there are so many different diesel engines around these days all using different grades of oil.

if you want to know the what the best or most cost effective oil for an aircooled motor,
Get ready.
you have opened up the can of worms again.
i suppose any engine oil is better than none at all and im sure many people will have different views.
but my vote is for good old Morris 30 monograde classic engine oil.

I wouldn't put oil designed for a modern diesel in an aircooled motor as they have too many additives which will have an effect on the bearing surfaces.

Either good old SAE 30 or a 20w 50 Mineral Oil (No synthetic stuff), we use 20w 50 in all our aircooled motors.

bigdaz said:
Get ready.
you have opened up the can of worms again.

can-of-worms.jpg

;)

i've used halfords classic moter oil, come in an old skool green tin, and is green, it seems like good stuff, and i thoiught it would of left a nice different colour on my drive way.......... but i have now fixed my oil leak!!!!!!!!

Funny but I was reading up on oil for my bike - it's an air-cooled Harley motor and they recommend 20 50 mineral or "diesel oil" as a short term stop gap - I believe because diesel oil is designed for engines running hotter

I just use the standard 20/50mineral engine oil you can get, nothing fancy. The other option is the Morris SAE 30, although i've never used this.

Hi!

Don't diesel oils have lots of additives like detergents to clean things out, would this be likely to loosen old gunge and cause problems on a old engine?

Dunno, just a thought.........

I do remember a topic somewhere about diesel V petrol engine oil, a quick Google, found this.

http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=11247" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is other stuff if you have a little search

Cheers!

Alistair

Latest posts