Engine rebuild

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benyon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dropped the engine oil for the first time since getting the van prior to camping trips planning for this summer, after not getting round to it throughout spring, and now I wish I had done this way sooner:

So half term camping next week will now be in the tent!

Anyway, while the engine is being rebuilt (not by me) I will take the opportunity to move the fuel filter out of the engine bay and swap the dizzy from the 09 to a SVDA. The rebuild will stick to stock 1600 spec (am I right thinking this is a single port engine?) but wonder if there was anything else I should do while I'm at it?

I've never had a magnet in the sump before, but I assumed that's too much metal in the oil for a healthy engine? Plus the starter has been struggling to turn the engine and I can't move it by hand (with plugs in). I figured it's likely to be bearings starting to seize.

The metal swarf doesn’t look that bad to me depending on how long it’s been between oil changes. I haven’t seen a magnet inside the sump plate like that before and I’d be concerned that it might obstruct the circulation OG oil but I maybe wrong about that!

You should be able to turn the engine by hand so maybe best you are getting it looked at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro