Engine Removal 72 Crossover

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molmeister

Reaction score
Evening All ...

Many thanks for pointers to date :)

Engine removal is next on the winter list following cylinder compression "issue". I'm sure this (engine removal), has been referenced a hundred and one times on this forum but I've used the search facility and not really come up with much - which I assume is me not using the search facility corrrectly.

So - please point me to the right URL - as a "greenhorn" to this site please excuse my indulgence in asking :mrgreen: OR

Give me some pointers on how to remove an engine from a 72 Cross over - so the engines coming out the bottom. I am sort of, aware of what needs to be done and in what order...manuals to the ready - what I don't know is how to physically lift the Bus "so" high.

So - How high do I need to raise the Bus to get a stock engine out

Is there a tried 'n tested method to raise a Bus without using a garage or their lifting gear (ie I'm doing this at home with a jack/ramp/bottle jack I presume :)

Where's the "best" place to raise a Bus ie Underneath (as opposed to "inside where it's warm!")

Should I buy an engine stand to work on the Bus once out - my mate said he'd go halves as he's going to have a crack on his Beetle and will use it - Good buy??

Should I be buying a Workshop Manual - does it tell me anything about this type of info...

Any help would be appreciated - not in the engine removal itself but in prepping for it as such......

Cheers Folks

hi there,

how did you get on with removing the engine?

i've got a crossover with a 2.0L type 4 engine. it's got a few oil leaks & i'm thinking of dropping the engine in order to fix them.

are there any pitfalls that i need to be aware of? or is it a relatively simple job?

i'm new to the scene myself and any hints would be appreciated.

cheers,

James.

You can easily do it at home, I removed mine, took me about 2 hours first time. Don't foget to support the gearbox.

I used a trolley jack to support/lift the engine free.

There are some video clips on you tube that can help

Hi there, if you haven’t already done this, a few pointers that might help.
Use a manual if you are unsure or look on You Tube, I’m sure someone covers this.
Disconnect the battery, get all the tinware off, clamp the fuel hose before you disconnect. Crossovers have a really annoying sort of captive bolt that goes through the top of the starter motor/top of the gearbox. It’s a hand down the back of the fan housing to reach with someone else holding the other end of the bolt by the starter.
Don;t forget to disconnect the throttle cable or the heat exchanger cables and hoses (ask me how I know)
You will need to get the bus up pretty high, almost the height of the engine from bottom of sump to top of fan housing, although I tilted the engine right back when dragging it out to improve the clearance. Support the bus on axle stands on the rear torsion tube. A regular jack will do as long as it reaches the sump with the bus up in the air, protect the sump from the jack with some wood.
Get the 4 engine bolts undone and the support bar at the back, the engine will slide back (with some wiggling effort) a few inches before it them becomes a heavy dead weight, lower it to the floor and then get the jack out from under it to get extra clearance before you slide it backwards out from under the bus.
You don’t need an engine stand, I have worked on mine sitting on a block of wood with casters on to help move it.
Good luck!

Mags said:
Hi there, if you haven’t already done this, a few pointers that might help.
Use a manual if you are unsure or look on You Tube, I’m sure someone covers this.
Disconnect the battery, get all the tinware off, clamp the fuel hose before you disconnect. Crossovers have a really annoying sort of captive bolt that goes through the top of the starter motor/top of the gearbox. It’s a hand down the back of the fan housing to reach with someone else holding the other end of the bolt by the starter.
Don;t forget to disconnect the throttle cable or the heat exchanger cables and hoses (ask me how I know)
You will need to get the bus up pretty high, almost the height of the engine from bottom of sump to top of fan housing, although I tilted the engine right back when dragging it out to improve the clearance. Support the bus on axle stands on the rear torsion tube. A regular jack will do as long as it reaches the sump with the bus up in the air, protect the sump from the jack with some wood.
Get the 4 engine bolts undone and the support bar at the back, the engine will slide back (with some wiggling effort) a few inches before it them becomes a heavy dead weight, lower it to the floor and then get the jack out from under it to get extra clearance before you slide it backwards out from under the bus.
You don’t need an engine stand, I have worked on mine sitting on a block of wood with casters on to help move it.
Good luck!

nice one, thanks for the advice.

Latest posts