Engine removal question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickJ

Reaction score
I'm thinking about having a go at taking out the engine from my crossover, would the van be high enough on some standard drive on ramps to get the engine out underneath ?
I don't want to start and get stuck half way :roll: any advice gratefully received :D
Thanks, Nick.

Measure the height of the engine, plus the height of the jack when in lowered position ( plus any wood you use to support the sump) and subtract it from the height of the rear valance or bumper ( which ever is lowest point) when up on the ramps and see what you get. In reality, with the weight of the engine removed the back will sit a little higher.
Type4 engines will have more clearance as the don't have the vertical fan shroud.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice, I'll get my tape measure out.

How do others remove their engine at home ?

Take the bumper, tow bar and rear valence off and out it comes - usually support the gearbox on an axle stand to keep it level!

StuF said:
Take the bumper, tow bar and rear valence off and out it comes - usually support the gearbox on an axle stand to keep it level!

Nickj has a crossover & can only remove the rear valance with an anglegrinder :mrgreen:

Ah - that would make it really awkward!

Doubt I could get our bus high enough in the garage to drop it out underneath!

My old X-Over was lowered so I had to raise it up as high as I could on ramps, drop the engine, lift the block off the jack on to a piece of plywood, then drag the plywood out from underneath. <5mm clearance :lol:

Now own a bigger jack and bigger axle stands so am armed and ready if I'd have to do it again. My new bus is a '71 so has the removable valance :p

Never used ramps but a mate has on a lowered late bay, when I've had mine out I've used axle stands and 6 bricks (3 each side) to drop engine onto so you can pull the jack out afterwards. Then I pulled out a brick at a time onto a piece of ply and slide her out on the ply, reversed it for the refit, that was the fun bit :lol: ok with two of you.

Latest posts