engine seal

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panic_fan

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
microbus
Anyone changed the seal around the engine lately? I have a 70 bay and just ordered a foam seal.....someone mentioned that it should be rubber. Anyone know about this?

if it has the removable valance it will be a 2 piece rubber seal,late bays had the foam

11 and 12 hear
http://www.vwheritage.com/vwh/VW-Camper-Van-Parts/Bus-Parts-1968-79/Body/Rear-Panels/?templateID=vwh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

strongy said:
if it has the removable valance it will be a 2 piece rubber seal,late bays had the foam

11 and 12 hear
http://www.vwheritage.com/vwh/VW-Camper-Van-Parts/Bus-Parts-1968-79/Body/Rear-Panels/?templateID=vwh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great! Thanks for your help! I had ordered the wrong one! I would have been :evil: I called and got the correct one now!
Happy Drivin!

While checking out my seal I noticed this...
483219.jpg

Is anything suppose plug that hole?

A hose, I take it you only have two hoses on yours then?

What filter have you fitted?

the third hole is the hot air to carb....

As Araon says, it should be the preheat for the carb.

If you have twin carbs, you will need to find something to block up the hole.

If you have a stock carb but not a stock air filter, I'd advise fitting one (complete with preheat which goes through the hole in the tinware)

Any pics of the engine?

Tofufi said:
As Araon says, it should be the preheat for the carb.

If you have twin carbs, you will need to find something to block up the hole.

If you have a stock carb but not a stock air filter, I'd advise fitting one (complete with preheat which goes through the hole in the tinware)

Any pics of the engine?

I dont have any pics right now. (at work) But it is a 1970 and everything is OG stock. I have the two heater hoses on each side, but nothing in that center hole.

you need to connect another hose to the air filter. look at mine:

airfilter1.jpg

the hose links the air filter snout to the hot air pipe under the tin which takes hot air off the barrels

Scott-Westy said:
you need to connect another hose to the air filter. look at mine:

airfilter1.jpg

the hose links the air filter snout to the hot air pipe under the tin which takes hot air off the barrels

Great THanks!
Is that a specific type or is it like the heater hoses?

483537.jpg

Heres a pic of my motor...looks like I am missing more than that hose.

Can you help identify?

483538.jpg

I see you have a 1970 bay - does your air filter have any connections on its very top? if so these are vacuum fed thermostat controls for the air flap in the air filter. This controls the amount of hot air being fed into the carb from below the tin (via another standard 50mm hose - the one you are missing) and cool air from the snout of the air filter. It needs vaccum from either the inlet manifold or the front connection on the catb if you have one. I think 70 models will have the older wax pellet type spring gizmo on the side of the filter though and shouldnt have any connections on the lid. Have a check. The bit of clear hose pipe is connecting the crank case breather (near the oil filler neck) with the air filter and is pretty straightforward to marry up - again have a look on your filter and stick some suitable hose on the two connections. The large braided hose you see on my filter heading off picture right is connected to a US spec charcoal filter and is used to recirculate fuel tank fumes into the engine. You may or may not have this system. Most UK buses have a different system of condensing pipes running across the ceiling of the engine bay and up towards the air scoops. Have a look in your engine bay and report back mate and I can tell you what to do. :D

Scott-Westy said:
I see you have a 1970 bay - does your air filter have any connections on its very top? if so these are vacuum fed thermostat controls for the air flap in the air filter. This controls the amount of hot air being fed into the carb from below the tin (via another standard 50mm hose - the one you are missing) and cool air from the snout of the air filter. It needs vaccum from either the inlet manifold or the front connection on the catb if you have one. I think 70 models will have the older wax pellet type spring gizmo on the side of the filter though and shouldnt have any connections on the lid. Have a check. The bit of clear hose pipe is connecting the crank case breather (near the oil filler neck) with the air filter and is pretty straightforward to marry up - again have a look on your filter and stick some suitable hose on the two connections. The large braided hose you see on my filter heading off picture right is connected to a US spec charcoal filter and is used to recirculate fuel tank fumes into the engine. You may or may not have this system. Most UK buses have a different system of condensing pipes running across the ceiling of the engine bay and up towards the air scoops. Have a look in your engine bay and report back mate and I can tell you what to do. :D

Thanks you are a great help.... no connections on top as far as I can tell. see pics.
I got a piece of hose to the filter (like the clear in the picture)
What does the 50mm hose connect to opposite of filter. I just have a hole in the tin? see pic

484021.jpg

484022.jpg

484023.jpg

Latest posts