Engine swap

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tintop

Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone advise me what i will need to change if i want to swap my current engine (single port 1584) for a later bay 2 litre?

What year is your van?

A stock pre '72 engine bay will not fit a type 4 engine without some 'adjustments'.

The engine bay, and cooling vents, were enlarged for the 1972 model year (aug '71 onwards)

Mine is a '72 crossover with the larger air vents.

I'm just finding the hills a bit troublesome at the moment, so a few more bhp or cubic inchs would be useful.

Don't want to spend a fortune though.

I got a type 4 in my crosser......the extra horses are a big bonus... but when things go wrong the bills are bigger......cylinderheads /heatexchangers almost double the price of type 1
as for the swap over parts needed..the hangers for the engine brace bar-crosser part only
gearbox ok-can change input shaft.
Also not very economical on fuel for me

Harlequin said:
... but when things go wrong the bills are bigger......cylinderheads /heatexchangers almost double the price of type 1

Also not very economical on fuel for me

i agree with price of parts! i've got 2L in my corssover, and once body is sorted on resto i will be having the engine rebuilt. even pistons and cylinders are double not to mention is you require to change your crank at any point.

i used to manage around 24-26mph on a motorway run from south wales to licestershire and the carbs werent perfectly set up.

if you aren't after spending alot of money i think you will be best at looking at trying to get the best out of what you have. another words look at potential free hp from bolt-ons.

Latest posts