Engine turns over. Won't start.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cymrusteve

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago all I got when I turned the ignition key was a "click". Initially thought it was a starter motor issue, but turned out to be a dodgy ignition switch instead. Finally got all my electrics sorted including new ignition switch/lock, indicator stalk and headlight switch, but now, despite the engine turning over, it won't start. The only way I can briefly get it to run is by pouring a capful of petrol into the throat of the carb (34 PICT-3). Not sure where to start looking to be honest... Carburetor? Fuel pump? Somewhere else?

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!

--Steve

Check the fuel pump first to see if working and is fuel getting to carb? Then if thats ok check carb might need cleaning out. Had a similar problem and some crud was blocking the jets.

When you pour the petrol straight into the carb does it keep running or cut out?

These things are all still new to me, only got my bus last Sep but I did re-wire the ignition and got it wrong a few times. When i turned the key it would turn over but wouldn't actually start, it turned out I had wired it up wrong. What year is your bus?

It's a 71 Westy. It runs for a short time (20-30 seconds?) after putting a capful of petrol into the carb, but then cuts out.

I don't think petrol is getting to the carb, so it's probably something to do with the fuel pump. I just checked the pump for a part number and it looks like it's a cheapo generic one the previous owner must have fitted:

http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?InventoryId=94219" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doesn't even look like it's meant for a bus...

Hope to do some more investigation after work and will let you know what I find.

hello
i had a simular issue turned out to be crap blocking the needle jet in the float chamber
might be worth checking ?
norm :D

If you can test your pump first before you go pulling too much stuff apart. Pop the pipe off the carb and pop it into a bottle or similar and get someone to turn it over for you while you hold it to see if it`s actually pumping. If it`s not pumping but has been replaced recently, check the length of the pushrod that works the pump, the replacement pushrods sometimes needed with a new pump are generally considered to be made of chocolate and don`t last very long. They are a little longer than the originals by about 5 - 10mm from memory (usually wrong) :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Hope this helps :mrgreen:

Oslo_mark69 said:
Steve where are you I'm in Blackwood if I can help

Displaced Brit now living in the USA! Probably a bit too far to come out and help...

I'm just about to remove the pump. Tried ozziedog's suggestion, but nothing was being pumped. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers!

Still sounds all a bit strange if it was working fine before you re-wired it though, I would double check just in case. Good luck with it

If there is nothing coming out of the pump when cranking for twenty or thirty seconds. Try the other pipe and make sure that fuel is actually getting to the fuel pump nice and freely as it could be something as simple as a lump of 40 year old crud blocking the pipe or the tank exit or a filter.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, Good luck displaced one :mrgreen:

Just had a thought :idea: :idea: :idea:
Wireing ??? Fuel ???
Have a sniff around in all the unusual places and see if there is an electric fuel pump hidden somewhere out of sight and / or an electric shut off fuel valve.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, Thinking outside the box :shock: :shock: :shock:

Spent yesterday afternoon removing the old fuel lines and draining the tank. What a job and what a mess.

Guess I should have checked the fuel lines before second guessing the fuel pump. I've got new fuel hose and clamps on the way to replace this lot. Need to order a new copper tank fuel filter/sock by the looks of things too...

1055151.jpg

1055155.jpg

1055153.jpg

1055147.jpg

1055148.jpg

1055150.jpg

1055149.jpg

1055157.jpg

1055156.jpg

From what I can tell by shining a torch down the filler neck, the inside of the tank doesn't look *too* bad. Any tips on flushing through any remaining gunk before installing all the new stuff?

Feels SO good to be getting this done. Thanks as always for the comments and advice.

Update:

Changed all the fuel lines and the fuel tank adaptor/screen. Looks a lot safer than the old lines and nice to have the filter under the bus instead of in the engine bay. Decided to install a new fuel pump (picked up pretty cheaply at the local parts store) and changed the oil while I was at it.

Cleaned out a few of the carb jets and adjusted the choke as per the following guide:

http://www.vw-resource.com/choke2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Turned the key and she started up first time - sweet as a nut! Didn't take long to be idling nicely either.

Feels really good to have the engine running again. Thanks for all the advice!

--Steve

Latest posts