Engine wows 5 days before holiday

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peacemaker_vw

Reaction score
Hi guys hoping somebody can help. Yesterday was driving the camper and she cut out I started her back up and she had no power at all and had to be towed home. Once home I tried to start her again and nothing she trrns over but doesn't start. She's a 1600 wth igniter 2 and flame thrower 2 coil twin port with pic 34 carb and empi twin outlet exhaust. I need to get her drivable by Friday to go to me mates wedding and then on holiday

Check the basics first
Are you getting a strong spark and a nice pulse of fuel from the pump?

I'd hazard a guess that the flamethrower is u/s, heard about quite a few failures. Just get a genuine Bosch (well Brazilian) off amazon £25 delivered next day and that should sort you.

sparkywig said:
Any coil will work, as long as the coil winding resistance is greater than 3 ohm.

I changed my coil last week as I has a misfire, it metered out at just over 3ohm but still caused the problem, new coil and now it's runs sweet

creationblue said:
sparkywig said:
Any coil will work, as long as the coil winding resistance is greater than 3 ohm.

I changed my coil last week as I has a misfire, it metered out at just over 3ohm but still caused the problem, new coil and now it's runs sweet

Coil tests.
Remove the ht lead from the coil to the centre of the distributor cap, switch on the ignition, hold the end of the lead with insulated pliers about 1/2 inch from the engine block and turn the engine over. There should be a spark, if not, then check the voltage at the +ve terminal (terminal 15), it should be at least 9V.
If this voltage is higher, check the voltage to earth at terminal 1 (coil connection). This should be 0V when the points are closed, and a voltage will be present when the points are open. If there is no reading when the points are open, the coil is open circuit and must be replaced.
Remove all of the wires from the coil terminals (remembering where they go) and using an ohmmeter attach the meter leads to terminal 1 and terminal 15 on the coil. You should get a reading of between 3 and 4.5 ohms, which is the coil resistance. A faulty coil will show a higher reading.

Next connect a lead from the meter to the centre ht connection and the other lead to either one of terminals 1 or 15. The reading should be around 9,500-10,000 ohms. It may be less, but shouldn't be anywhere near 11,000 ohms. If you have no reading at all, the coil is faulty.

Sounds like a fresh new coil is needed and you will be running again

You seem to be a bit out of your depth where engines are concerned. Your problem could be almost anything from fuel starvation to ignition problems to blocked jets to valve problems etc etc.

My advice is to take the bus to someone who you can trust and who has worked on aircooled engines before.

BTW - Flamethrower coils are truly awful. They have a habit of getting very hot then dying. I've rescued two people in last couple of years with those coils.

Latest posts