Ernie my 69 texas import

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rik24

Reaction score
Imported a 69 westy from texas here it is at home in Texas .I was after a splitty and wanted to import one to keep the cost down. Came accross this in advert on vzi and thought why not!
photo3.jpg

Picture202.jpg
Here it is back in Manchester far better than i expected well chuffed cargo floor and cab floor knackered been sat in texas since 93 when owner had heart attack and left under a tree , kids smashed windows shag pile carpets hence knackered floors :D

CIMG2005_1024x768.jpg
im keeping the original paint wheels etc had the interior trimmed in a retro style steel wheels chrome hubcaps wont be lowering loads but it will be going a bit quicker :D

Before
CIMG1909_1024x768-1.jpg
CIMG1924_1024x768.jpg
After
CIMG1929_1024x768.jpg
CIMG1932_1024x768-1.jpg
Front floors where Knackered having the windows opened for 10 years wont have helped chassis rock solid though :D

had a go at cleaning up the poptop very pleased with the result 41 years of texas muck! :D
Picture002.jpg

Rusty Lee said:
wow wwhat did you use to cleaan the top with looks fantastic
Dead easy hot soapy water and one of those red furry pads (not sure what there called but they always have them in car body shops) then it just needs a wax on it. In fairness as im going to keep the original paint work just going to buff it as best i can i wasnt worried about what happened to the roof so i attacked with the red pad and it didnt ruin it , had i been concerned about the roof im sure it would have ruined it!

CIMG2171_1024x768.jpg
Just had my daily update from Rog at Retrospeed (purists look away now)who is doing the subaru conversion for me new cambelt kit fitted and engine serviced just waiting for parts from Richard (rjes) and its ready to fit.Need to get under the bus and clean and waxoil all.Cant believe how solid these imports are i have a 71 uk crewcab that needed everything welding this only needed the floors doing because the windows had been smashed and it had stood still since 93!

Looks like it will be a fast one when the engine is sorted and installed ;)

looks good rik I do not remember ever looking under that shag carpet but when it was wet i knew it was not going to be good.. hope that motor sits at least another ft higher than in that picture you will be dragging oil everywhere.. should be cool and love to help you guys save these old texas buses.. keep posting pics..
red pad in bodyshops is called (scotchbrite) made bye 3M.. red is equivalent to 400 wet dry paper green is like 1000 and grey is like 800
always got more buses coming and going..

been busy cleaning off the old under seal unbelievable how solid these imports are compared to my English crewcab happy days! :D
CopyofCopyofernie038.jpg

CopyofCopyofernie039.jpg

CopyofCopyofernie040.jpg

Copyofernie021.jpg

Copyofernie050.jpg

Copyofernie052.jpg