erratic fuel gauge

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blotty

Reaction score
hi all,i have just picked up my 72 crossover us van and apart from the usual things i see listed ie gearchange poor andvidling woes the main issue is the fuel gauge needle flaps from empty to full and anywhere inbetween. It does this with the van running or not and does it very,very fast.very occasionally it flickers around one certain point which i think resembles the actual amount of fuel in the tank.
has anyone any ideas please? as i dont like carrying about a full spare can with me.
thanks

If it does it all the time then carefully check the connections on the gauge and the other end of its earth wire and the stabiliser. They need to be clean and tight.

Theres a good guide here on speedy jims site http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If its stable with the vehicle stationary, without the engine running and then does it if you rock the van then its probably the sender.

Latest posts