Essential road trip spares

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holio.cornolio

Reaction score
Hello all.
This is my first post as we only took ownership of our '69 westy last week. When we collected the bus it was the first time I'd ever driven one, so it's a steep learning curve currently. The forum's been really useful so far though, but whilst I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, none of my searches turned anything much up. Anyhow, we're hoping to get out and about in our bus over the spring and summer, and will be working up to european road tripping with some local excursions to begin with, but.... before we even get close to that stage I want to build up an essential parts bin to make sure we can keep ourselves going as far as possible. We have RAC cover (natch), but what spares would you not even consider travelling without? So far we have a fan belt, a fire extinguisher and recovery insurance (and some spanners). What else should we have??
Cheers

i carry this but it depends on what you feel confident doing , so you could go even more berserk than me :lol: but i carry this lot as by the time the breakdown service turn up i,d be on me way again

clutch cable
throttle cable
complete dizzy with points condensor
leads
plugs
choc blocks
tray fuses spade conectors etc and some wire and a couple of split pins
tie wraps
gaffer ;)
bulbs
regulator
rocker gasets
manual
multi meter (tester)
some more gaffer ;)
3/4 inch breaker bar
46mm socket
1/2 inch breaker
19mm socket
spanners sockets screw drivers possy and flat heads
more tie wraps ;)
one axle stand
jack
spare tyre :roll:
some oil
some trol
more gaffer ;) ;)
a crappy coat
some cloves
spare wheel
torch
breakdown cover card
magnet
fan belt [/color]
rags
juberlee clips various
petrol pipe about a meter
tub of nuts and bolts and washers various m6 m8 m10 m12 etc
all fits in one box and under the back seat

anything else it must be really buggered !! :p

cant think of anything else please feel free to add
regards
chris

oh for euro trips i take an old complete 3 piece clutch :shock:

Hi holio

For euro trips, dont forget, reflective vest, Bulb kit, warning triangle & first aid kit.

I would also make sure you have a phone no of someone like heritage who can arrange
next day european delivery (a copy of their catalog for your particular vehicle would also be handy)

make sure the van is serviced before you go, I would also familiarise youself with changing the belt/points

I think crede999 has just about covered everything else.

happy holidays! :)

I noticed that peeps have missed out several items, a shifter, rubber bands (various) coat hanger/wire, cable ties. ,,,Did any one mention insulalation tape,,,, what about gaffer tape, I`m surprised nobody mentioned gaffer (wonderous) tape. We`ve had all the fan belts, spare oil etc etc. Any way,,, you can never be 100 per cent that you have everything, so the best is always but always,, prevention. Wear slippers not boots always helps. :shock: :? :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, Don`t come unstuck,,,,,,,, take plenty of gaffer tape !! :lol: ;) :lol:

^^^ I beleive Crede may have mentioned gaffer!

Given my euro experience i'll always be carrying a spare coil - just to avoid the issue of a French garage fitting the wrong sort after you've been recovered once only to end up on the back of a recovery vehicle 50 miles down the road!!!!!

crede999 said:
i carry this but it depends on what you feel confident doing , so you could go even more berserk than me :lol: but i carry this lot as by the time the breakdown service turn up i,d be on me way again

clutch cable
throttle cable
leads
plugs
choc blocks
tie wraps
gaffer ;)
bulbs
regulator
rocker gasets
manual
multi meter (tester)
some more gaffer ;)
3/4 inch breaker bar
46mm socket
1/2 inch breaker
19mm socket
more tie wraps ;)
one axle stand
jack
some oil
some trol
more gaffer ;) ;)
a crappy coat
some cloves
spare wheel
torch
breakdown cover card
magnet
fan belt [/color]
rags
juberlee clips various

regards
chris

sounds like a tardis-like box.

i was going to say I'd be surprised if there's any room in your van for anyone else :lol:

Thanks all. I'll start getting these parts together (and learning how to fit them would be a good idea too). Fortunately I never travel anywhere without a few rolls of gaffer, since I work as as a cosmetic and reconstructive surgeon, and it's always a useful thing to have in the OR.

holio.cornolio said:
Thanks all. I'll start getting these parts together (and learning how to fit them would be a good idea too). Fortunately I never travel anywhere without a few rolls of gaffer, since I work as as a cosmetic and reconstructive surgeon, and it's always a useful thing to have in the OR.

what a crap job... looking at boobs all day :p

Hi,

Think it's been covered well! - just to add I carry a smaller selection of the above - my tools live in the van anyway so come along by default - I also have a box of parts for longer trips:

Spare working carb
Spare fuel pump
Spare working dizzy
Spare fan belt
Clutch Cable (need to buy a speedo one!)
Inlet Manifold boot
brake bleeding kit
Mixture of blade fuses
Headlamp & indicator relays
Pipes for brake servo and vacuum connections

I'd also add a top brake fluid reservoir to the list as I've had 2 go on me now

Johnny said:
crede999 said:

clutch cable
throttle cable
leads
plugs
choc blocks
tie wraps
gaffer ;)
bulbs
regulator
rocker gasets
manual
multi meter (tester)
some more gaffer ;)
3/4 inch breaker bar
46mm socket
1/2 inch breaker
19mm socket
more tie wraps ;)
one axle stand
jack
some oil
some trol
more gaffer ;) ;)
a crappy coat
some cloves
spare wheel
torch
breakdown cover card
magnet
fan belt [/color]
rags
juberlee clips various

regards
chris

sounds like a tardis-like box.

i was going to say I'd be surprised if there's any room in your van for anyone else :lol:

:msn4: i usually chuck the box in the back but it goes on the rack for trips, but i do have a confession the jack, axle stand,oil and petrol go in a old army sausage bag on the rack :lol:
and the tools go in a small tool box under the seat , and i use the kids body board for something to lie on :eek:

:lol: ooh thought of another i always phone the docs a week or so before complaining of ear-ache so can get some anti biotics as there a mental price in europe ;) ;) ;)

IMPORTANT !! ask your insurance for a accident form Agreed facts" or "constat " form otherwise you can get into his word against yours row with the insaurances , its a form both parties of an accident have to sign .......costs nothing but worth loads ;)

regards
chris

ps johnny im going take a pic of me box lol

Latest posts