European roadtrip advice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke

Reaction score
Hi all,
In April me, the missus and a some friends are heading over to France for 2 weeks and i was looking for some advice as im sure many of you have made the trip in your buses before. Its slightly daunting as not only is this the first time we have taken the camper this far, but its also the first time we have ever been abroad! We have a rough route in mind to head over to Paris for a couple of nights, and then down the Biarritz , then over to the Pyrenees and Santander. Has anyone been down this way and have any suggestions for places to see/camp. Also whats the ferry like (ground clearance wise) and can anybody suggest inexpensive European breakdown cover, thanks in advance for your help :mrgreen:

Ask your insurers if you can add European breakdown to your policy; probably the cheapest option afaik.
As for France; it is a legal requirement to carry a warning triangle and a high visibility vest (I believe this is for the driver only) in *all* vehicles
Lastly; don't forget your GB sticker!

GB sticker
Compulsory, and failure to comply could result in an on-the-spot fine.
Euro-plates - number plates that include the GB euro-symbol - have been legal since March 2001 and make display of a conventional sticker unnecessary within the EU.

In some countries outside the EU a conventional sticker is required even if you have euro-plates, so it is always safer to display one
From the AA: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/general_advice.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi

Ive done the Biarritz - North Spain bit a couple of times.

Youll need hi viz to hand for every passenger in the van, warning triangle(s), fire extinguisher(s), spare headlight bulbs, spare glasses if you wear them and a GB sticker or Euro number plate.

Plenty of campsites in the region but they do get rammed at peak times but you can usually get sorted for a few nights at a time, but get there early to get a plot. Lots of camping aires too if you just want to get youre head down cheap.

Weve stopped in San Sebastian, Biarritz, Bidart, St Jon de Luz, Capreton, Hossegar, Seignosse, Arrcachon, La Rochelle, Isle De Re and then across via Paris to Calais.

I love that region, but the weather does get better as you come North a bit. The mountain ranges can keep it cooler and damp overnight. Superb for surfing and the associated ambience .... but also cripplingly expensive at times!

8)

"Top notch advice clem, i didn't realise that there was so much involved! We have just got a book called "cool camping France" that has got some nice looking campsites in so we are aiming to hit a few of them on the way down, what are petrol prices like over there?

Its most likely to be a bit more expensive then here, depending on the exchange rates at the time. You can also factor in motorway toll charges as well, they can add up a bit! But, unless youve got a lot of time, you need to crack on and get the miles in, hence youre better off on them. The upside is very regular rest points and a structured service centre network, and all that are more than happy with you kipping overnight.

Its all simple enough when you get there. :)

Regarding breakdown recovery, I now have it on my insurance policy, but in the past have paid for short term breakdown classic cover from Heritage Classic Insurance, via Norton, in Brum.

It all seems expensive, fuel, tolls, being in the Euro zone, but we usually end up spending less overall than an equivalent week in the med or similar, and always see more, experience more and always have a much better time. :)

I'd agree with Clem - if you need to be somewhere, then the autoroutes can't be beaten.

But if time isn't an issue, then avoiding them is a much more pleasant experience - you won't find any sleepy towns/bars/auberges/cafes on there, just coachloads of kids...

Also, from memory, I think you're obliged to carry your V5 with you in France, as well as insurance. MoT would probably be useful, as you don't need that argument at the roadside...

A lovely part of the world - spent most of my childhood summers that way and nothing but fond memories (apart from the trip down in a Morris Minor...)

Carry a good selection of spare parts, plenty of oil etc. Take a haynes or other book as you never know when it might come in handy.

I went through the pyrenees a few years ago on way to Barcelona and it was amazing. The roads are fantasic although the other half was shitting herself. We stayed in a campsite very high up in the mountins and it was just the best.

Jimbly said:
Also, from memory, I think you're obliged to carry your V5 with you in France, as well as insurance. MoT would probably be useful, as you don't need that argument at the roadside.

I would get a few photocopies of each, you don't want to be handing the originals out in the event of anything happening.....

mattyd72 said:
Jimbly said:
Also, from memory, I think you're obliged to carry your V5 with you in France, as well as insurance. MoT would probably be useful, as you don't need that argument at the roadside.

I would get a few photocopies of each, you don't want to be handing the originals out in the event of anything happening.....

Photocopies unfortunately will be scowled at and run the very real risk of your bus being impounded and then being fined. It is originals only i'm afraid. Treat them the same way as you would your passport and find that good hiding place in the bus for them when you are away from it.

Go here for the full requirements; http://www.rac.co.uk/driving-abroad/france/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably not looking at your route, but if you decide to run through Andorra give Naturlandia a whirl. On your way to Santander, if you hug to the coast line try out Gorliz, Plentzia, Sopelana. Plenty of wild camp spots, good beaches/swimming/surfing and good pintxos (tapas). Also none of those are far from a quick jump to Bilbao for the Guggenheim. Whilst in the Basque region treat yourselves to a kalimotxo at the bar (tx is ch to us).

Don't let the worries and nerves get you, it will be one of the greatest experiences you've ever had :)

72nu-funk said:
mattyd72 said:
Jimbly said:

Photocopies unfortunately will be scowled at and run the very real risk of your bus being impounded and then being fined. It is originals only i'm afraid. Treat them the same way as you would your passport and find that good hiding place in the bus for them when you are away from it.

Go here for the full requirements; http://www.rac.co.uk/driving-abroad/france/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably not looking at your route, but if you decide to run through Andorra give Naturlandia a whirl. On your way to Santander, if you hug to the coast line try out Gorliz, Plentzia, Sopelana. Plenty of wild camp spots, good beaches/swimming/surfing and good pintxos (tapas). Also none of those are far from a quick jump to Bilbao for the Guggenheim. Whilst in the Basque region treat yourselves to a kalimotxo at the bar (tx is ch to us).

Don't let the worries and nerves get you, it will be one of the greatest experiences you've ever had :)

Not true, I have been pulled over in France, italy and Spain and always handed over copies everytime, Yes have the originals somewhere in the bus but only use as a last resort...

I was pulled over in France and had forgotten all documentation ...the policeman was cool and just said if visiting again make sure we have them ...I think he just pulled us over to have a nose at the camper LOL

Great advice guys, we're planning a similar trip in late august too. Could we put a list together of spares and tools people would take on a long trip?

Oil
Plugs
Leads
Dizzy cap
Rotar arm

Also, is there a requirement to carry a spare tyre? I've taken mine out and don't plan to carry it.

Finally, any ferry advice?

Cheers

Kev

rawlings86 said:
I was pulled over in France and had forgotten all documentation ...the policeman was cool and just said if visiting again make sure we have them ...I think he just pulled us over to have a nose at the camper LOL

I was pulled near Alicante due to me driving along brushing my teeth as I was late for work and was living in the Bus so it made sense to me to do it on the way :oops:

The Guardia Civil carry large handguns :lol:

mattyd72 said:
rawlings86 said:

I was pulled near Alicante due to me driving along brushing my teeth as I was late for work and was living in the Bus so it made sense to me to do it on the way :oops:

The Guardia Civil carry large handguns :lol:

Priceless!!! :lol:

I done a glasgow to hossegor trip in august, took the eurostar - no probs for lowered vans and in france in under 45 mins
I'll echo what others have said use the autoroutes as they're effortless if somewhat pricey
the places I went were lacanau,dune de pyla ( if you're going here dont stay overnight at the dune carpark 45 euro a night
, go left at dune and about 1/2 mile on the right is a free beach type carpark with toilets and a couple of bar/restaurants)
seignosse,hossegor,biarritz and into spain to san sebastian which was well worth a visit- I had a great time ,good waves and frenchies were ok also .

Thanks everyone for the great advice, the time is finally upon me as we leave on sunday! Due to financial restraints i doubt we will get as far as Biarritz any more but we will try our best, and lets hope the weather stays like this! :mrgreen:

Latest posts