EUROPIAN RECOVERY?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yorkiebay

Reaction score
HI can anybody advise break down cover for me van as we are going to france in here and just feel it might be worth it cheers yorkiebay. :D ps i tried the AA and thourght they were a bit dear at £120 for 10 day cover

Contact your insurer - they will most likely be able to offer you it as a cheap add-on.
HTH

We used RAC -alot of others won't touch vehicles over 10 years or so in Europe is what we found. And, we did break down -they were great!

Most of the time you can contact your own insurer as they usually offer this as an add on to your existing insurance. Ive had it recently to go to Ninove for 30 quid . What I will say is I have seen several buses break down irrepariable in Europe and with quotes of over £ 2 grand to get a bus back to the uk, as at every border the bus has to unloaded and reloaded on to a new recovery truck :shock: :shock:

Its worth it ;)

Norton Classic Insurance do short term Euro cover

:)

http://www.heritage-quote.co.uk/breakdown-cover.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you read the small print the cover with "Cherished" is not brilliant. I had to have the trailer of shame take me from Deveon to Kent last year ( :oops: ), but I'm not sure this years cover would offer the same service. There are limitations.

I'm thinking of going with the RAC as they will cover all my vehicles (3) in one.

Double check your insurer as mine quoted something like £30 extra for european breakdown cover (think it is either 60 or 90 days cover)
Although the best person to ask is Cotswoldiver (sorry David :lol: ) as he has dealt with foriegn recovery's before and might be able to point you in the right direction

Thanks Froggy - the memories are flooding back :(

Mine came as part of the insurance cover on the bus, but when it came to the actual breakdown it was handled via the AXA insurance company. I wasn't with Cherished then, it was a Footman James Policy I think. On AXA's own website they state that they do not cover vehicles older than 17 years so you will need to find either a european breakdown cover as an extra or try the RAC. My RAC cover via my bank account is fine in the UK, but the bus is too old for them to cover it in Europe - another check of the fine print before I left proved worthwhile

Personally, I won't go anywhere over the channel without it. On the last trip it covered the cost of bringing the bus back on a trailer which was handled direct by the breakdown service so I didn't have to pay any money out in France. We were then able to claim back on our return the costs of rail travel from France to the UK. Beware, they will want proof that the bus was serviced and prepared for the trip to support the claim, that helped speed the claim through but it was still several weeks before the refund came through

Still planning to go back this year - but return under my own aircooled engine not Eurostar's very best :lol:

Latest posts