exhaust swap for ultra low bus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john the horse

Reaction score
Right where to start,

Used to run stock with j tubes and was never a problem as j tubes are really tucked up next to engine

Replaces the carbs etc and went vs tuck zorst, have to say this bit of kit is great and not knocking it at all, however the j tubes are lower than stock j tubes and mine are dented and so have to run higher( this aint good.)

Was going for a torsion bar raise to go lower and anfull on engine tranny lift, but then came along my son and so we have a towbar and a trailer tent coming.

So the question is are there any rad exhausts out there that have stainless j tubes ( as stock) and a side outlet, basically a stock zorst with a bigger bore i guess,
looked at bluebird, no good as wont get the towbar on the thing due the bracket.

maybe a beetle box with twin bay tail pipes, might breath a bit better?

any ideas and no raising it aint an option, although it is the sensible chioce, if i wanted to be sensible id get buy a cortina or whatever the new fords called.

jth

Unless you go bespoke John I doubt you'll get better than stock for your bus :?

Hi,

Have a look at Dirty Harry's thread on his amazing Westy, he fitted a stock bug system, but with two pipes going out either side, instead of Bug type peashooters

There were some more detailed pictures of the bracket etc he made for it, though can't find them at the moment, maybe send him a PM?

I have this stock exhaust:

stockex.gif

Will take pics if you want so you can see where it sits on a stock bus for comparison. (though you probably know anyway..)

Cheers,

Alistair

yeah cheers amigo, that zoe=rst is a bluebird and dont think itll fit, as ya said prob going down the beetle back box route

thanks for that

jth

John,
I managed to get one of those exhausts (or one very like it) to fit, but I did have to adjust the outlet pipe with a hammer to pass behind the tow bar.... Not a great fit but was just possible.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

cheers dude for the input , i got double trouble though as got an engine raise so looking like stock or custom is the only way, really big thanks
it aint over till its over

jth

Have you seen this?
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=42483" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know nothing about them, I've been looking for mine and found this on here. The follow up posts seem favorable.

john the horse said:
Shorty said:
Will a CSP Python fit John?
that was an option ill check out cheers , fucking expensive though

jth

Won't work John not even worth considering, I run one on mine and I have plenty fo clearance it wouldn't work on your van with it being so low and not sure it would clear everything due to your engine raise.

Stock is you best option (we do a nice stainless tailpipe for these, http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Tail-pipe-stainless-steel-polished-end-T2-1-6-79-AC251604_act_shop.product_pID_53631986_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) followed by Vintage Speed which I believe you've already tried and last of all is Custom, I'd think your best bet is to speak with TurboThomas, they make exhaust to order and are very good quality. Speak with them and go from there, they seem to be half the price of CSP too :mrgreen:

http://www.turbothomas.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers alex, yeah really dont want to go stock again as kept tearing the tail pipe off , vs all the way but the j tubes sit too low. ill try turbo thomas see what h has to say cheers mr jesus.

john

Latest posts