Exhaust valve stuck?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoddy

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just been checking my valve clearances. Followed the general instructions re starting from TDC and no 1 valve, then 180 degrees anti clockwise before doing no.2. Had to exchange some choice words with the cover over 3&4 but we got there tonight.

Spun another 180 to check no.3 and noticed there was no gap at all on valve closest to front; exhaust valve? I've wound the adjuster out but it's still not leaving me with a gap. I can push the valve in slightly so not stuck solid.

Is this bad news as in bad bad news?! I thought my mechanical skills were doing well just checking the valves and an oil change.

It's had a couple of 50 mile return trips recently with no issues; apart from not wanting to start easily when hot if it's been left 10 mins or so. I just put this down to been ready for a service.

Any thoughts appreciated
Cheers
Craig

Have a read here mate - had a similar problem recently

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70365" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers mate... Not liking look of all that! Glad u got sorted. My no.3 valves both look in the same position (neither stuck in/out more than the other). The exhaust one will push a little in by hand.

I've got a new set of ht leads to fit too!

Try and use a hammer and a piece of wood to unstick the valve
Might just have carbon or some gunk build up in the guide
Spray some WD40 in the area and give it a tap (or two)

Latest posts