Exhaust Wrap

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not personally, but my mate wrapped the header pipes on a similar type system. Mostly as the header was mild steel and rusty and the silencer was stainless, so it was a cosmetic thing really. Looked ok.

Is it for sound reasons? My mate has a 1974 Porsche and it triggered the noise limit detector at the Nurburgring, 130db or something like that! Anyway wrapping it lowered the level by about 10db. He's still got ear defenders hanging from the roll cage though!

Get the stainless header and save the agro.
I had the same setup years ago but the empi 4 into 1 1/4" and a repacked stainless blue flame big bike exhaust.
Wrapped the header, with much difficulty as the pipes touched in places where they cross, so not fully covered. Metal cable ties are a must. If it's a daily driver it might be OK but mine rusted away anyway.
Replacement was a heritage larger bore stainless header and quiet pack, sounds nice, runs nice and looks nice and will not rot.

The heritage header was a real pita to fit, as nothing lined up properly. I would have returned it but needed it fitted for MOT.

Waste of time on something that isn’t a race car. Providing the engine is tuned correctly then the exhaust won’t be generating excessive heat plus the wrap absorbs fluids so it hold water make the exhaust corrode and if you develop a leaky rocker cover it will soak up the oil, stink and smoke once the exhaust is hot.

Defo get a stainless exhaust, i have a custom exhaust and its not as expensive as you think, and lasts forever! :)

Latest posts