Exploding windscreen!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

our bus 68

Reaction score
Took my van to exhibit at Martin Clunes Buckham Fair on Sunday. Whilst driving there I heard what could only be described as an electrical shock type popping coming from the front of the van. Parked up and went off, came back 10 minutes later to find this......

First thought was someone had smashed it, but the glass was all outside. It seems that the popping sound was the glass cracking possibly under the rubber and then by shutting the door the pressure just finished it off!

Amazingly National Windscreens sourced a new screen and brought it down from Bristol and it was fitted on site within a couple of hours. The only downside was they forgot to bring a new seal so my original crumbly one was reused temporarily to get home. Next day the Poole depot fitted the new seal, free of charge too.

I am now the proud owner of a new windscreen and seal for only £75 excess fee!!!

As they say "Every cloud........." :D

Not that uncommon with toughened glass. Bit scary when it happens whilst driving. Had it happen on a 1303S once. The sound is like a pistol shot inside the car.

A neighbour, many years ago, thought it a good idea to defrost their windscreen with hot water one winters morning. That went well.

At least there aren't so many toughened glass screens around now, the way roads are resurfaced. Very shocking when they go, had one go on a Fiat once at speed, thought I had been shot at, then no visibility.

Latest posts