finally lowering my van

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron

Reaction score
dropping the van on monday (spindles)

it's only taken 6 years!!!!!

REALLY looking forward to seeing the results :mrgreen:

i'll be showing off the new stance at stanford hall next weekend

yay

Brucey.jpg

:wink:

Nice one mate - looking forward to seeing your van at last...hopefully at Standford

Is John doing the work for you? Mines going into him on Friday for an engine out oil seal...my neigbours will be please not to have oil dripping at last...

Johnny said:
staying stock with the wheels?

ferra bit

flippin weddin to pay for :shock: :mrgreen:

MMMC about time too! be good to meet, funny if it happens 100 miles from home, stanford is an ace show - dead classy (just like me :lol: )

it might not be slammed, but i love the stance and the ride is amazing - all the comfort, none of the roll - perfect geometry - means i can thrape it around town even more than before :mrgreen:

van-web.jpg

baron said:
it might not be slammed, but i love the stance and the ride is amazing - all the comfort, none of the roll - perfect geometry - means i can thrape it around town even more than before :mrgreen:

van-web.jpg

when is it being lowered :wink:

easy said:
baron said:

van-web.jpg

cheeky monkey :lol:

smudge said:
I think you need to hit it harder with the slamming stick :lol:

Nice stance

I usually eat a few borittos to get the front down that extra half inch :roll: :wink:

Looks just right Baron - how much/how was it done - I want to do similar at some point, but no lower.
Do you have a figure for how much the drop has been front and back?

easy said:

:lol:

the front has been lowered 2.5 inches, using drop spindles, which i think were about £250 from wagenwest in the states. you can buy their spindles from coolair in the uk, for about £400. the back is stock height

fitting cost me £120, but is by most accounts about a simple a process as there is for lowering, do eminently DIYable

the spindles widen the track, which did worry me a little, but it's not noticeable now, and now doubt helps reduce the roll a bit more than lowering the centre of gravity does

not going any lower, this if just fine for me - i use my van for travel and carting stuff around - so lack of ability so deal with potholes, off road, ramps etc is not on the cards

i short, totally recommended :mrgreen:

Thanks for the info - do you know if this method of lowering the front a tad actually keeps the handling/ride better than the whole 'adjuster' thing....certainly looks easier/quicker to do - thats some mark up to UK prices though..... :|

angus said:
Thanks for the info - do you know if this method of lowering the front a tad actually keeps the handling/ride better than the whole 'adjuster' thing....certainly looks easier/quicker to do - thats some mark up to UK prices though..... :|

Yes, this is definitely a much better approach for handling than adjusters

This approach retains the geometry of the original setup pretty much. The beam and suspension remain the same. Whilst the centre of gravity for the van is lowered, so this means all the quality of your normal ride, without any roll around corners.

I also have a suspicion that widening the front end track even a tiny bit also helps with front end stability (which makes me wonder how stable the front end is with a narrowed beam)

It’s not the cheapest option, but I wouldn’t want to compromise on ride quality for the sake of a few hundred pounds. UK mark up is quite steep, buy a set from nate at wagenwest, it’s no hassle and he’ll ship them over in no time – you may as well take advantage of the strength of the pound rather than a UK supplier.

I’m really very happy with the ride. Totally recommended :mrgreen:

Nice one Baron I too aint into slammin it just a gentle revision of the bus geometry......liking it a lot.....

Excellent - looks like a great move.
One last question - do these spindles fit drums & disc options (or do you specify) - I've got drums now, but think I want to get some discs up front.

I'm all for UK sellers going through the hassle of importing for me etc etc, but double the price....

Latest posts