First time oil change

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike F

Reaction score
I've been thinking I really should be doing the oil changes myself... have read the Idiots guide and got some info but seems like no illustrations? An old Beetle manual seemed to put me on the right lines, then I looked at the van.

I was expecting a large nut in the middle of a 100mm or so circle, with six nuts around the outside - mine seems to have no nut in the middle.

Is there anywhere on the web with pics of what I should be doing or should I post pics of my engine and take advice?

That big circular disc undo all the screws, loosen them a little at first then loosen several a little more so the oil starts to flow into your container when it appears to have virtually stopped remove it completely and let it stand for a while grab a coffee or something. Unless youve full flowed it you wont have a screw in filter to worry about. refit plate with new gasket fill and go.

Ps you can buy an engine flush from any motor factors that you pour into the filler and run the engine for 10 miles or so, I've used when the engine oil has been thick and black and not been changed for a while it helps clean the alleyways out and pours easier.

just read that article... Aaaahhh the old hot oil down the arm, memories of a childhood under the car whilst my old man rolled a fag and dropped spanners on me. :lol:

Mike F said:
In answer to my own question I found this article which is just right for mugs like me...

http://volkswagens.wikia.com/wiki/Changing_the_oil

Seems I have a sump which needs all the nuts removing.

You could replace it with one with the central nut, I change my oil every 1000-1500 miles and only clean the filter gauze every other change so the central nut is quicker to drain the oil.
While the oil is draining you can check the valve clearances.....

Thanks for the replies!

As it happens in the time you've all been tapping the keyboards I've done the job! I'd say that if I can read those articles and books and get it done anyone can.

Next job is to fit the fireflex fire extinguisher... collecting and fitting Friday!

Latest posts