Fitting new dual carbs to type 4 engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sydney1

Reaction score
Having managed to obtain one of the last few brand new type 4 engines from VWH last year, I've be using the single weber which I'd had on the old engine as a replacement for the knackered original twin solex's.

Enjoying the new engine so much, we are now using the van more, and for longer journey's. Also planning on pulling a small trailers so now thinking I should treat the engine to a better carb for better overall performance and hopefully better or at least similar fuel economy (only getting 17mpg at the moment without trailer)

Been told to avoid chinese imports so looking at dual 34mm ICT webers from somewhere like Stateside Tuning which I believe are from the (recently closed) weber factory in Spain, but worried about the lack of chokes.

Is this likely to make starting an issue?

Any other suggestions? Bus is a keeper so cost not a major issue. tA

Unless your using your bus in cold /winter then the chokes shouldn't be an issue, just sit in the van on start up and use your foot and ear as the choke ;)

Heritage are starting to get Type 4 engines in again, we are now getting them re manufactured ourselves here in the uk.

I wouldn't worry too much about stuff being manufactured in China, I'd trust them as much as the spanish! Most stuff is made in china these days and the quality is much better than it used to be.

As for carbs you have lots of options:

AC129K1412 - Twin 34 ICT's

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Weber-34ICT-carb-kit-T2-4-1-7-2-0-litre_act_shop.product_pID_97581_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AC1293286 - Twin 34 Solex with Chokes

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Carb-kit-Twin-Solex-34mm-w-choke-T4-CB-perf_act_shop.product_pID_184172_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those two are your most economic options, but if you are really going for it:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_EMPI-twin-40-HPMX-carb-kit-T2-4_act_shop.product_pID_204311_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that helps,

If you call Heritage and want to chat about your options ask for Alex.

Remember you also get your EB Discount.

Cheers

Alex

Twin choke Dell'orto DRLA or Weber IDF's would be nice on that. More money but worth every penny.

Karl

fitted itc kit to a T25 and it didnt go any better that stock carbs ,but at least it ticked over and ran smoother cos the old carbs was fobared.36 webers or baby dells for performance ,kadrons for performance and economy.

gibzy76 said:
Ive recently installed twin 36 DRLA DellOrtos and can HIGHLY recommend them

Thanks for all the input.

Assume you also fitted them to a type 4 engine? Where did you get those from?

I am looking to replace my worn out carbs on my T4 engine. I am seriously considering a set of Dellorto's from euro carb but they are pricey. Has anyone fitted these to an early bay with a Type 4 engine with an upright dog house fan housing?

Latest posts