Fixies ... Mango bikes - anyone got one?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockandrollcamper

Reaction score
http://www.mangobikes.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Im quite into my single track mountain biking but been Thinking about getting an about town, single speed type commuter bike instead of walking or really lazily using the car for my 1 mile commute. Seen these on the tv and when I've looked at the site they look quality. Also would make a cool camper accessory

Anyone out there bought one? Or those who have single speed bikes, what's the pros and cons

Cheers

Nigel

I ride single speed to work , 4 miles each way , & also out & about . Prefer it everyday use to my mountain bike .

The only thing i think you need to sort out is gearing for the type of roads you`ll be riding on .

I`ve just got a cheapy one & the only problem i have is the rear wheel has to be F tight to stop it moving forward , though i have found some clamps to hold it in tension that i`ll be getting soon .

Both my bro & dad ride them , get one , it`ll be fun .

Can highly recommend the Specialized Langster. I've got a carbon/ally one which comes in at under 9kg and is a real pleasure to ride. I don't know about Mango Bikes but there's loads of brightly coloured single speeds out there which are a bit 'style over substance' to appeal to the hipster crowd. Charge plug is also supposed to be good but a little heavy or pick up a decent old frame (reynolds/columbus etc) and build your own.

Flip-flop hub's handy if you don't like fixed. Once you get used to single speed you wont want to go back to gears, pure joy :D .

Worth a read http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12878366&p=17868549" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

built mine :D
its an old 70's peugeot

photo-7-1.jpg

I bought an old frame off ebay and built my own. It's an old raleigh bike frame. It has a flip flop hub, riding fixed wheel gets a bit of getting used to, it does fly though!!! Once i bough the frame i got all the bits and pieces from this guy, http://singlespeedcomponents.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. If you do get one make sure it has horizontal drop outs and not vertical otherwise you can't tension the chain easily.

My bike

IMG_0091_zpsa70e7208.jpg

Thanks guys,

Now I'm looking sat converting my old heavy MTB into a single speed with lightweight tyres, seat post, forks and handlebar. I suppose it's better than forking out for a totally new bike. I never really used the gears anyway, plus I was getting bored of it.

Des

Would personnally prefer a converted 80s racer (preferably in a decent tube) or a secondhand surly or charge plug to one of the fashion fixies. I've only ridden a couple but they were both fairly unpleasant to ride :(

Something a little different, a mate has just got one of these and raves about it
http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.php?product_id=1872" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
His commute is mostly ex-railway track cycle path though so he probably raves about it because it's ideally suited!

Here's mine, although I swapped the bars for some drops like in the last pic...

552352_10151047534103827_716274054_n.jpg

544661_10151047559313827_340836497_n.jpg

309264_10151138472468827_277816883_n.jpg

Rear wheel is built around a Hazard hub so it's super strong and the chainset is small and lightweight.

How far do you lot ride your fixies, and over what terrain? My commute to work is 7.5 miles and pretty flat but I still shift across a few gears as I go ... I reckon a fixie would be a pain to ride, or am I missing the point? :lol:
I get the weight, simplicity and continuous effort concept to it, and we'll ignore the 'bang on trend' factor, for now ;)

6 miles to and from work, all but half a mile off road, so its mountain bike for me :D

I like getting to work much better than being there.

Clem said:
How far do you lot ride your fixies, and over what terrain? My commute to work is 7.5 miles and pretty flat but I still shift across a few gears as I go ... I reckon a fixie would be a pain to ride, or am I missing the point? :lol:
I get the weight, simplicity and continuous effort concept to it, and we'll ignore the 'bang on trend' factor, for now ;)

Think of it like driving an old volkswagen. It's fun but occasionally a bit of a challenge :lol:
Does take some learning and getting your head round it though, especially cornering at speed and just how far you can crank it over :shock:

That said, I'm old and soft now and like freewheels!

Geeze said:
Think of it like driving an old volkswagen. It's fun but occasionally a bit of a challenge :lol:
Does take some learning and getting your head round it though, especially cornering at speed and just how far you can crank it over :shock:

That said, I'm old and soft now and like freewheels!

That certainly tightens certain muscles...... :lol:

I ride a minimum of an hour a day on mine, more if I have enough time, mostly on flat but some hills as well. Give it a go, you'll love it :D .
( prefer freewheel to fixie though if I'm honest as I feel my life and knees are in less danger :msn4: :msn4: )

Latest posts