• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale: 2020cc T1 engine - 134BHP - SOLD

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZedBed

Reaction score
I have had a raised roof super race case since before I built this engine and it's nagging at me to build it into a bigger one. Most of the parts below were bought for this purpose, but at the time I didn't have the extra money for a new crank flywheel and clutch so I built this one around the case and crank of the last one. The case was inspected by our own Rob Parry and several oil delivery problems rectified. Core plugs removed and case thoroughly cleaned.

Ali case full flowed for oil cooler/filter. Case has not been line bored.
Wasserboxer 2.1L 76mm crank, 228mm flywheel and new clutch. Mains have had one grind and big ends just a polish since new. This was done as part of this build.
New 5.5" SSP con rods
New 92mm AA stroker B&P's
New AA 40x35.5mm heads with 3 angle valve job, SS valves, single high rev springs
New Scat C35 cam, cam followers, cam gear
New oil pump.
Standard push rods.
Standard rocker gear.
All new bearings.
Rolling roaded at 134BHP at 4800 rpm with DRLA40 carbs (30 vents) and a vintage speed exhaust (not included). Would have produced more power with larger vents, but these are a nicer drive in a bus.

Built up and running for about a year and less than 10K miles. Not thrashed! This engine is reasonably sensible - it does not have or need super-strong valve springs or ratio rockers that put a great strain on the valves, cam and followers. No doubt a few more BHP could have been squeezed out of it like this but it will last a lot longer how it's built. I do have ratio rockers and steel rods but decided against fitting them for this reason.

No end float, no smoking, no obvious wear, no funny noises. Ticks over with 20psi and runs at 42psi just as it should.

Price £1750 ono for bare engine with flywheel and new (a few months old) clutch. Clutch was only replaced as "someone" who was paid to balance it made a mess of it.

Engine located at IP28 8DS (East Anglia). Engine is in my bus and can be experienced before purchase. It will stay in there until sold at which point it will be removed more or less then and there for you. Can be palleted or picked up.

Some pics, though of course you can't see a lot of the long block in most of the pics.
Too mucky in the workshop so built on the dining room table (I'm divorced. :D )

Almost built up...

Installed...

I was conservative about the mileage until I checked today. In fact it hasn't done anywhere near 10,000 miles, it's more like 3-4,000.

I would like to highlight that this is outright purchase, I don't want your old engine so you can sell it on ebay and make this even more of a bargain. :)

Hi Zedbed,

It's very tempting for me, what would I need to make it running? Unfortunately, I'm in Devon, so can't travel....

I'm on works pc, pictures blocked, I'll try my phone later.......

Cheers,

Alistair

aogrady said:
Hi Zedbed,

It's very tempting for me, what would I need to make it running? Unfortunately, I'm in Devon, so can't travel....

I'm on works pc, pictures blocked, I'll try my phone later.......

Cheers,

Alistair
You will need everything apart from the long block, flywheel and clutch. You will need specifically carbs, manifolds, filters and Linkage, and a decent exhaust, cooler, filter head and pipework for the full flow. And all the bits off your existing type 1 engine will fit, that's cooler and stand, alt and stand, fuel pump, fan housing and fan, pulley, distributor, heat exchangers* etc etc.
Much as I'd love to supply it turnkey, I need all the other bits for my next engine. It's been Rolling roaded and I would of course let you know how it's jetted.
*I fitted larger dia J-Tubes but TBH I think it would be fine with standard heat exchangers. I have Eber heating so wasn't worried about the loss of heating.

Mine and jonboy's started out life the same by the same respected builder, around the same time, but I upped the oomph on mine with bigger valve heads, slightly bigger B&P's and the Dells. This made an enormous difference to the engine which I'd estimate would have been struggling to register 90HP on the rollers before, and which is why I originally started out rebuilding it.

Once I started I found almost 4mm of deck height and hemi'd heads that made a CR of less than 7:1, the C35 cam shaft had "disppeared" along with it's gear, followers and a clearanced pump. The oil thrower was buckled, the oil pickup at a rakish angle providing zero windage with it's inlet hard up against the gauze filter almost blocking it. Hmm. That's when I went off professional builders for a minute, licked my wounds and spent a few months carefully building it back up again myself with new parts and endless advice from the marvellously helpful Robert Parry who has restored my faith enough to get him build the next one for me.

Now I have that sorted out I have an itch that needs scratching. That itch is to build the biggest possible engine in a raised roof race case and you know how it is - once an idea catches hold it has to be done. :)

Marriedblonde said:
Alistair I have a remote oil cooler, filter head and various fittings if you need/want them? I bought a cooler without a fan and have a replacement with fan.

Let me know. If you cover postage they are yours.

J.
Hi, that's a very kind offer, but unfortunately it would seem not sold to me :|

Thanks anyway

Alistair

aogrady said:
Marriedblonde said:
Alistair I have a remote oil cooler, filter head and various fittings if you need/want them? I bought a cooler without a fan and have a replacement with fan.

J.

Thanks anyway

Alistair
Sorry Alistair, there has been constant interest in the engine since it was advertised. I spent 5 hours this morning answering PM's and phone calls and about the same last night!

aogrady said:
Marriedblonde said:

J.

Thanks anyway

Alistair

And who feels like fool now... Sorry matey

J

Hello mate, nice to hear from you, how ya been bud??? See if we can hook up at a show maybe this year even and share a beer :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, That`d be good :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
Hello mate, nice to hear from you, how ya been bud??? See if we can hook up at a show maybe this year even and share a beer :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, That`d be good :mrgreen:
Hi Ozzie - Busy busy. Plans to see through and all that. Going to sell the bus next to fund finishing my superior late one ;) and another engine. I don't need two and it's the only way to move forwards...,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :D

Latest posts