Fridge help for idiot please!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruth11

Reaction score
Hi

We are just starting to look at kitting our early bay. Yes, I know it's a bit late!

Can someone please explain the fridge\cooler options available to us?
My husband has been looking and he got confused because it looks like the 3-way fridges can't be used on gas inside the camper, is that true? Or is that just certain models?

We are not always going to be going to proper camp sites with electric hook ups, so we need something that will stay cool for a good 5-7 days or so - either on a leisure battery (is that even possible?!) or on gas. But I think we'd want a fixed one inside the van, not one that we have to put in the awning... although I'm happy to be educated into a different train of thought

Thanks

Well you have 2 main options

A fitted fridge

A portable cooler

The fitted fridges are usually either 3 way (12v, 240v or gas) or just 2 way (usually 12v or 240v). If running off gas the supply is normally T'ed off from the supply to your cooker. They generally work very efficiently on either gas or 240v as long as the van is level and you have installed allowing for sufficient ventilation. There are 2 opertating systems, compressor or absorbtion and one (absorbtion I think) is less power hungry on 12v when using the lesisure battery but still only for use when moving or short term when stopped. Best to cool the fridge from home on 240v before filling with prechilled food and setting off. The fridges can be used quite safely on gas internally subject to being installed correctly

Don't know much about porable as we've always been happy with the fitted fridge we use. As with most things, get the biggest you can afford/fit. We have a Dometic RM4210 which includes a small ice box and very happy with it.

Jacksons or O'Briens do a good range

http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/cool/30,60,.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.obrienscamping.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a bit on fitting them

http://www.obrienscamping.co.uk/articles/FridgeInstall.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck

Brilliant! Thanks :)

Just one thing that I'm not sure I've understood correctly:
I spoke to someone today and they said that for a fitted fridge to run on gas, it would need to have a hole in the side of the van for the upper vent outlet. I can't quite work out if this is what is being said on this installation guide.

Not sure I want a hole in the side of my van (not bothered about in the floor!)....

ruth11 said:
I spoke to someone today and they said that for a fitted fridge to run on gas, it would need to have a hole in the side of the van for the upper vent outlet.

I've still got this same dilema to figure out for my van too. There are plenty of vans about with a kinda snorkel looking fitting on the roof to that is a vent for gas fridges. Perhaps someone has a pic they can post for you.

However, I think i'm going to run a flexible pipe out the drivers window when running on gas. I want my van to look clean with no excess holes in it!

Jim

You can buy the more expensive 12v compressor fridge, no need for a hole in the van. They come in around £400/£500! They are very light on the battery but you'd only get a couple of days running just on the leisure battery. Unless you take a solar panel with you (another £150/200 then you can be self-sufficient.

Yeah, a couple of days wouldn't be enough. We'd need 5 days at least really as we're planning on using it at festivals.

the_troupster said:
ruth11 said:
I spoke to someone today and they said that for a fitted fridge to run on gas, it would need to have a hole in the side of the van for the upper vent outlet.

I've still got this same dilema to figure out for my van too. There are plenty of vans about with a kinda snorkel looking fitting on the roof to that is a vent for gas fridges. Perhaps someone has a pic they can post for you.

However, I think i'm going to run a flexible pipe out the drivers window when running on gas. I want my van to look clean with no excess holes in it!

Jim

Thanks Jim, that's an idea.

Here is a picture of the vent fitted to our van. Its only a small hole and the vents finish it off nicely

RHrear.jpg

Sydney1 said:
Here is a picture of the vent fitted to our van. Its only a small hole and the vents finish it off nicely

RHrear.jpg

Thanks, that's not so bad :)

Ahh, after reading into this, it appears I was wrong about the roof vents. They're not for fridges but a vent for the sink drains in Westy's! Haha, my bad. I don't see how this still couldn't be utilised though...

It seems like lots of yanks run their fridges overnight without venting at all, and lived to tell the tale... :shock:

I still don't know what's best! :lol:

Jim

I have a 3 way fridge and it is bloody brilliant, and tend to run it just on gas. As for the hole in the side this is mine
BrightonBreeze.jpg

Thanks for the photos - if anyone else has any they could share I'd be grateful.
My hubby says he thinks that it would need to look more like the white T4 that's in the March\April issue of VW Camper & Commercial - two big vents in the side of the bus top and bottom of the fridge!
That sucks if it's true...

Right, we've decided we want to go with the RM4213

Sydney1, you said that you are running the RM4210 - how have you got yours fitted and vented? We were planning on installing it behind the passenger seat facing backwards, with a hole in the floor at the back of the cabinet it sits in for cool air and a vent in the worktop for the hot air. Venting the flue out the side of the van like you've done.

Did you manage to get your installation certified by anyone? We're having a nightmare trying to sort that out. Dometic don't seem to like the idea without it being installed by an approved engineer and won't warrant it if it's not. Obriens said the only fridge we can install like that is the RM123 (I'm asking them for clarification as to why because I can't work it out)... The unit it's going in is planned to be 600mm deep - do you think that's enough air space at the back?

Any help here would be gratefully received as we're beginning to pull our hair out!
Thanks

Hi

Ours is fitted within a housing immediately behind the drivers seat against the outside wall facing outwards.
The fumes are routed via a flexible corrugated copper tube (from B&Q) from the exhaust on the back to via an outlet to back of the white vent you see in the picture.The legs of the fridge sit on 2 strips of timber running from front to back and the fridge is brought forwards from the wall to allow ventilation. You need to allow the warm air generated from the cooling fins at the back to rise by convection. This is only warm air as you would get with a domestic fridge and does not need to be vented. Our cooker sits onto of the fridge (not directly!) and forwards to allow this. Generally the more free air space you can provide around the fridge the better it performs hense some using the big ugly white vents but generally you only see thse on motorhomes with bigger fridge/freezers. We have the bare minimum of ventialtion but never had a problem.

I'm a reasonably proficient DIY'er and fitted it myself as do many. Unlike with motorhomes there is no annual habitation/safety check with our vans (for now anyway!) so unless you are not comfortable fitting it yourself it's pretty straight forward to follow the instructions and safe yourself a good few quid. .I wasn't worried about getting it certified by anyone as I was happy I'd installed it correctly and checked for leaks. Regarding warranty issues, the fridges are petty simple pieces of equipment so I reconed if it works out of the box it will be ok for a year!

Good luck whatever you decide

Thanks Sydney1, I think we'll go with our original plan and just wing it!

Cheers
Ruth

oh and the supply can be tee'ed off from the supply to the cooker (JK to a brass T piece), then pushed firmly onto the metal fitting on the fridge and secured with a jubilee or spring clip ensuring it does not cut the rubber!

Latest posts