Front bench seat/bed conversion????

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gambit

Reaction score
Hi folks has anyone heard of a bench seat which converts into bed suitable for child or was my pal just talking rot while he was jaked?? :lol: Looking for bit more sleeping space due to expanding family, any help appreciated

Frank

I have seen something out there that converted a front bench seat into a lie flat bed...

BUT

this involved cutting out the bulkhead(s).. which are there for torsional rigidity of the bus' shell... removing these isn't particularly wise IMHO, but I have seen people do it in the past......

daisyclarke said:
I haven't seen any, but it should be according to baby's comfort as uncomfortable baby would not be happy.

My daughter has no preference at this time :lol: but i get what shorty is saying regarding structural issues which is probably why theres not much info out there as its not recommended. Cheapest option looks to be bunged on he floor or remove porsche seats for original ones to use cab bunk. Pop-top would stretch my limits just now. I appreciate the feedback
Frank

Didn't some late bays have the bulkheads cut out at the factory to allow for swivel chairs?
Iirc there was a small triangular plate put into the corner to provide strength.
Also think I've seen a split with a fold down front seat that converted into a small bed.

Yeah, you are right, but to pick up on something you touched on... Additional structure needs to be added to do the job if that removed... The bulk heads act as a shear panel which is very efficient and lightweight... This can of course be replaced by something lower down and more beefy.. It's like turning a coupe into a cabriolet, the cabriolets often suffer reduced body stiffness a a result of removing the roof - a shear panel...

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that more work and calcs are needed rather than just firing up ones angle grinder!

Shorty said:
Yeah, you are right, but to pick up on something you touched on... Additional structure needs to be added to do the job if that removed... The bulk heads act as a shear panel which is very efficient and lightweight... This can of course be replaced by something lower down and more beefy.. It's like turning a coupe into a cabriolet, the cabriolets often suffer reduced body stiffness a a result of removing the roof - a shear panel...

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that more work and calcs are needed rather than just firing up ones angle grinder!

You engineering types always over think things! ;)

I saw this splitty at Camperjam that had a swivelling seat back to the front bench seat. It is put in the back position for driving, and moved forward for rear facing seating, which can then be used a kiddies bed. Ingenious.

IMG_2057.jpg

Doesn't get over the structural problems associated with bulk head removal though.

It's a cracking idea, and if I thought it could be done without potential issues I'd have one in my bus for sure! I wonder if there's some decent bracing behind that wooden base front??? If there is then jobs a good'en!!

Its a Westy conversion, SO42?? Lots have cut the bulheads out, im sure they were put in to stop any objects hitting the driver under breaking rather that structural, remember the bus is based on a ladder chassis which runs the whole length which supports the body, thats just my opinion of course. Westfalia put the smal triangular steels in the corners of the B pillars probabaly to stop the seam splitting ide say. Imagine how much more space you could have in your bus 8) That said I wouldnt cut mine :lol:

I met a guy who had done it in his splitty and to be honest it made a massive double sofa/bed he'd replaced any metal he took out with bracing under the seat... Looked wicked :)

that looks such a great idea, i myself personally think there only there to protect driver from objects in rear if i could afford one of those benches i would cut mine out right now, i mean right now haha

AAHH think thats what my pal was talking of, sorry didnt mean to start debate :oops: but although its nice bit of kit its bit pricey too, im scottish you know!! Food for thought, not sure how many years id get out of that but good idea all the same

Frank

lil_azza said:
that looks such a great idea, i myself personally think there only there to protect driver from objects in rear if i could afford one of those benches i would cut mine out right now, i mean right now haha

hmmm this is a very much nice info dude ...keep share it around the web.. 8)

Latest posts