Front break cylinder help!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freddie

Reaction score
Trying to sort the breaks out on my 69 cali westy. So there are 2 cylinders on each front wheel. The front right wheel keeps locking up when i break so i took the front left hub off to investigate.... it appears the top wheel cylinder that pushes out the right break pad isnt pushing out enough.

I have bled the breaks using the bottom bleed nipple (I take it there is only one bleed nipple as the 2 cylinders are connected)

So when i put my foot on the break the right pad isnt being pushed out half as much as the left bad, its hardly being pushed out at all.

Any idea why?

Thanks

Freddie

Sounds like the flexy hose has closed up internally, this is quite common as the rubber swells up over time and closes the tube up.
One way to tell is look at how fast the pad returns if it very slowly then that an indicator. Are both pistons on this side pushing out at the same rate? If one comes out ok and the other doesn't the its a sticky cylinder.
It can be taken apart and cleaned, use some rubber grease on the seals before refitting you can get this from halfords its red in colour.
Also if you havent done this already flush the system through with new fluid this should be done every 2 years, the fluid get contaminated with water over time, so when brakes get hot it turns to steam and hey presto no brakes.

Latest posts