Front door alignment, barely shuts, won't lock no matter what I do on hinges??!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmouthrob

Reaction score
First of all I'm a newb here, so a big hello to everybody!

I have a beautiful '70 bay that I have just spent the last week respraying (well the bottom half at least). All was going well, save 1 small paint run - BRILLIANT we thought as we patted ourselves on the back. Then we started to re-assmeble and that's when the fun started.. We started with the slider thinking it would be the difficult job but got that on within 2 minutes! We then came to put the front doors back on and so far have clocked up an hour and a half on each and neither is right yet! Both are basically far too close to the B-Pillar which means that the doors won't close without grinding paint off the B-Pillars, BUT the interesting thing is that the gaps all round actually appear to be fairly good once the door has been slammed shut! The time fiddling was basically playing with the hinge alignment, i.e. I read that adjustment closer / further from the B-pillar was done via moving the front hinges closer / further from the body horizontally. to be honest after all the fettling I was at a point where i was just going to file a small portion from the B-Pillar just to avoid the rubbing, however I have just discovered that the drivers door will not lock it is that tight so I am forced to definitely resolve.

As soon as I get home I'll post some pictures, but in the mean time please please please could someone with a bit more knowledge let me know if I am missing anything? I haven't fiddled with the door catch on the b-pillar yet as from what I can see that's not going to help matters but happy to be proved wrong.
Another clue may be that there was a ~5mm shim between the bottom mount and hinge on the drivers door - we tried for 45 mins to fit door with shim in place but then figured we'd remove it to move the door forward a bit and free up a bit more space however this didn't seem to have any effect at all??

Thanks in advance

Rob.

Rob, a big hello and welcome. ;) . I'm gonna be no use to you at all. I've read different ideas on how to adjust the bloody things and I'm in the same boat as you. :? I'm an ex builder and can hang a timber door, hang and pack upvc and ally doors, I can even wrestle with garage doors and I'm not the dumbest bear in the park but I've got the same results as you. I've made packers and spacers and got myself into unimaginable positions trying to sort my cab doors but it's three steps forward then three back. So if any one has a brilliant link to this , I'd be very interested too. I thought I was getting somewhere when I had a cab door open and I had two ratchet straps attached to the top of the door and to a large iron framework, I thought I can adjust these now with precision but back to square one. Got to admit I've only used plastic spacers and I haven tried making metal ones yet. I got some lock issues on the passenger door at the moment so I'll have another go then. I was trying to get it so she would fall out on a roundabout far from home but the bloody thing keeps sticking :shock: :lol: :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,, I just gotta loosen em up. :mrgreen:

Oh with the shim, I tried various methods and one that worked well was putting a dummy screw in the post with no head on it, just finger tight and I think I cut a slot in it for a screwdriver. I lost that in the upheaval one time. Next time I play with it I'll put the shim n where I want it with a couple of dobs of super glue just to keep it in place.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, hurry up with some pics bud. :mrgreen:

Latest posts