Front panel fun

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottom rung

Reaction score
So, I have the front panel prepared. Holes in the windscreen flange ready for spot welding, holes in the sides and top of the grill apurture as well. The panel sits hard against the flap assembly thingy and sits nicely against the windscreen pillars. It even fits nicely on the lower a-post. The problem is the area around the bulge. I can get it to fit on one side, allowing a bit to fold over into the door shut, but the other side has no spare metal to fold. I can shuffle the panel across and still get a reasonable fit, but thal leaves me only a couple of mill left to fold over, with plenty of pre-crimped flange showing outside the doorshut.
I have been using ratchet straps and plenty of clamps, but there is no way this panel is going to fit as far as I can see. It could do with being about a centimetre wider at the mid point.
I figure my best option is to fit one side properly, and cut the panel top to bottom about an inch in from the fold on the other side, fit the folded part and fill the gap. It seems a bit drastic to have to do this on a new panel. I can't return the panel as I have already fitted indicator blanking plates and removed the badge bulge.
Anyone had to go through this as well? :(

I've just found this: http://retrocustom.com/mainportal/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=185%3A1972-bay&catid=45&Itemid=100003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks like I won't be the first to have to cut a supposedly good panel. Why are people still selling these panels which just don't fit? Do all the suppliers get their fronts from theme source? Totally pee'd off now. :x

thats how you can tell if a bus has a new front panel :roll: just look at the next show :roll: ;) every one ive fitted has been to short around the moulding,but it will go with body hammer and dolly,and yes all come from same sorce.or find nos :shock:

I've had the same probably with my new front panel, in the end I cut done the side with my Plasma cutter the same as on that Retrocustom link, tomorrow I'm spending the day hopefully getting it all welding up.

Have you welded on the lower valance yet or are you doing after fitting the front panel?

I will be welding on the lower front panel once the top part is on. I have already welded a set of offcut indicator recesses into the plain holes. Hopefully all the weding should be finished by the end of the weekend!

It seems Klassicfab are planning to make earlybay front panels at some point. With their reputation it should mean that we can get hold of good quality new front ends at last, hopefully without the tiresome fettling of the indicator holes and badge bulge. My riviera will have to make do with its pattern front for now, but I will be holding off on my 68 dormy resto till these Klasscfab panels arrive over here.

Latest posts