Front tyres with dropped spindles???? Hitting wheel arch

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watty

Reaction score
Hi I have an issue where I have just had dropped spindles to lower 2 and 1/2 inches. I have SSP replica Fooks 15 inch wheels. Also new tyres. Standard type

My issue is that the new tyres stick out wider than my wheel arch, they also have the tyre wall that is fairly upright to give more tread on the road and I only have 2 cm clearance. Also on full lock they rub on the chassis. Bother

My dilemma is do I keep existing new tyres and go back to standard height. Or do I get a different type of tyre where the wall angles in so that my wheel arch is cleared for the front. Any suggestions on what tyres I could use?

Thanks

If you look through the stance thread in the technical section you will see what setup other people are running, this will help you buy the correct tyre.

In short with dropped spindles you will need lower profile tyres, what make are your spindles, I note that the new ones supplied by heritage widen your track by 1cm.
What offset (ET) are your wheels, anything with a lower ET than standard will widen your track, I think standard is around 40-43ET
These two combined are probably causing your width issue.

Sam

I've so been here.

Front wheels, offset on all of them is rubbish unless you go porsche patten, which has much better offset, but that involves a brake upgrade. So, your wheels will have to have a low profile tyre. I run TH dropped spindles, so no extra offset there, and I run 175 60's. These are for the most part fine, but heavy load or big bumps and they still touch the inner arch. If you've got spindles that add width to your front end, you will have to go to a 165 or maybe smaller, poss a 70 profile as with the narrower tread, the tyre wall will pull in. Obviously this is not recommended for road use, but look around and decide if your happy with it. I went to a friendly local tyre company that will fit an old tyre the size you want so you can check, then went back to them and bought two new tyres.

Also, heavier duty shocks or coilovers help, I run KYB shocks, slightly firmer than stock. Again, this is all in the huge thread up top.

Good luck

If you have the Wagenwest 2.5" drop spindles they add track I seem to remember.

I got 4 x 195 70 R15, and the spindles were from VW Heritage with a 6cm drop. The back I think I can get away with.

Sounds like it is a combination of the (small) added track from the drop spindles, extra width of the tyres and offset of the wheels. Typically lowered buses run a smaller profile tyre on the front.

Your current tyres/wheels are actually taller than stock. by a few mm's. Combined with the added track of the spindles, lower wheel offset and wider wheels and tyres. Simple fix is to run smaller tyres like everyone else.

Clem said:
Try a 165/65x15 front tyre ... at a guess.

Yes I'd say the same,

You can keep the tyres from your front to keep for back tyres next time you need a pair and get new front tyres that are slightly smaller.

When ever you lower a vehcile you will need to run smaller tyres.

Alex VW Heritage said:
When ever you lower a vehcile you will need to run smaller tyres.

My bus has a 4" narrowed beam, WW dropped spindles and still runs stock wheels, tyres and wheelarches/tubs without rubbing.

Took a lot of work to get it to that with a good ride comfort though, and it's not the lowest by any margin :D

Sorry chaps , can I just jump on the end of this
I have just had mr ballsd lower the front end by 65mm
My tyre size is 195 14 and the overall wheel and tyre dia is 25 inches

The tyre doesn't rub the wheel arch , but I'm gonna need new tyres anyway soon , so what size should I fit on a 14inch rim ( although the tyre say 14 inch dia, they measure 15 inch ?)

The tyre size listed above doesn't have a profile depth, it's just 195 14
Although the tread is good, they are very old and the walls look knackered

Cheers

mrs hoskins said:
Sorry chaps , can I just jump on the end of this
I have just had mr ballsd lower the front end by 65mm
My tyre size is 195 14 and the overall wheel and tyre dia is 25 inches

The tyre doesn't rub the wheel arch , but I'm gonna need new tyres anyway soon , so what size should I fit on a 14inch rim ( although the tyre say 14 inch dia, they measure 15 inch ?)

The tyre size listed above doesn't have a profile depth, it's just 195 14
Although the tread is good, they are very old and the walls look knackered

Cheers

Tyres without a profile printed on them usually mean they are 80. Your tyres are only 16mm bigger diameter than stock. If that combination works for you than stick to it.

Thanks everyone. Skinny tyres on the front for me it seems. Thanks for all the advice. Kin mine field tyres are :cry:

Latest posts