Fuel cap. Which way to fit/remove?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coda

Reaction score
I have received a second locking fuel cap from JK because the first one I ordered did not lock. Well, it did, but the wrong way (Once its locked and key withdrawn you can rotate the cap off, but it slips if you try to put it on). The second cap is doing the same thing. So either:

1) JK sent me the exact same cap back
2) JK has a bad batch of filler caps (they are stamped BBT underneath)
3) The filler neck on my '71 is non standard
4) Operator incompetence (me)

In order for me to check #4, can someone with a '71 (not after august 71 which would be a '72), tell me which way does your fuel cap unlock? I have to twist mine anti-clockwise to take it off (just like a pop bottle cap, jam jar lid, etc).

thanks.

I have to push down really hard ,turn to the right to engage cap. Turn key to right and remove.
The cap now spin but does not come off. To remove , insert key hold cap and unlock. Now remove anti clockwise until
cap un clips and comes off.
With any luck this might help who knows. :lol: :lol: If it makes sense.
Early Dormobile.

J & P
:D :D :D

I don't think it matters clockwise or anticlockwise, as Jonathon says 'hold the cap stationary and turn the key 180 degrees. In one position the caps 'outer' will simply rotate; hence no light fingered soandso can remove it and nick your juice.

In the other position (after holding the outer still and turning key) locks the outer and whole cap together meaning it can be gripped and turned. ta darrr

.....or I've just confused things further, in which case I apologise :roll:

Liam

lemur said:
In one position the caps 'outer' will simply rotate
That's the problem, it only rotates in one direction, which is clockwise. When you try to turn it anti-clockwise it grabs, and therefore you can take off the cap. I made a video for JK to support my RMA, if you watch it, it will clear up any confusion and then you can possibly tell me exactly what I'm doing wrong :?

Video of fuel cap issue Warning it's 12mb.

That’s the same one as I got recently. They are all a bit rubbish imho. I’ve had 5 altogether [emoji23]
The first three were the shiny stainless steel ones that didn’t work or the lock fell out ( the last one)
Left it for two or three years then saw these brushed steel ones at JK. The first just didn’t work again. After ‘locking’ it, the cap still came off. I spoke to someone at JK and asked them to test the replacement before sending it out [emoji23] this one does work although it has a dent in it. You couldn’t make it up!
I’ve kept this last one but I do still wonder if it’s going to fail on me at a petrol station somewhere on holiday and I won’t be able to get it off !
I may just put my old VW logo one back on [emoji16]
Not much help I’m afraid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No, that's a lot of help, thanks, now that I know that you got yours from JK too and have experienced the same issues. I also asked them to test the replacement cap on one of their staff's vehicles, but got no response to that (not surprising really as they probably are not at full strength in the office).

I feel sorry that they've sent me another cap (with a dent!) at their cost, and it still doesn't work, and I've gotta send it back again. At least I know it's not me going mad, so thanks a lot!

Although I will be quite annoyed when some tyke decides to steal my petrol, or even worse - pours a bag of sand into the tank...

Well I watched the video and have to concur ; They're sh*te :(

I have that same one but it's still in the packaging (has been for years) After spending an age to get my bus all one key... I could never bring myself to add another to the key ring. That said I've never had any issues with fuel theft ect... is that even a real thing anymore?

Liam

lemur said:
That said I've never had any issues with fuel theft ect... is that even a real thing anymore?
Maybe, once we head into a post-corona Mad-max style apocalypse :)

Coda said:
lemur said:
That said I've never had any issues with fuel theft ect... is that even a real thing anymore?
Maybe, once we head into a post-corona Mad-max style apocalypse :)

Haha [emoji23] Mad Max that’s a good movie. I even liked the last one with Charlize Theron. [emoji3]

I’ve never really felt that people stealing fuel would be an issue. If prices went through the roof then maybe. The trouble is if thieves are determined to steal fuel a locking cap isn’t going to deter them. They would just wrench off and cause damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And if I'm honest I try not to leave the bus in a shitty location.

Especially not in the breeding ground of criminal gangs foraging for gasoline and scraps. :lol: :lol: :lol:
L

So after all that, the consensus is that these caps are not worth it and I should send it back (again) and get a refund. On it. Thanks all.