Fuel pump frustration

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nigel

Reaction score
Fuel leak spotted from carb end joint. Hose looked tired so replaced...at the same time a fuel filter seemed like a good idea...Seems to be hot topic and it divides opinions. I went for between carb and pump...not to everyones liking...then again I'm growing a handlebar moustache and opinion is divided on that too!

Anyway...once fitted I wasn’t happy with filter flopping around (hadn’t really thought it through) and went to lengthen the fuel hose coming off the pump so that I could secure it. Bearing in mind I'd only just pushed the hose on imagine my surprise when the pipe (looks like brass) coming off the fuel pump came out, oh yes I swore! Anyone who knows me can tell you the skin on a rice pudding can embarrass me so it must have been ready to come off. It shouldn't be that loose...should it?

So, what now? Looking at the Haynes manual it looks as though all I need is a ‘pump body, upper’ although Heritage.Com can sell me a new pump for about £15.00. The new pumps look different from my current one but seems as though its the best option. Any thoughts?

pump002.jpg

pump003.jpg

take the pump of and solder the feral back in to the pump body, other than that get a pump from a show if you want to stay original, this can also happen at the carb end as well, had to solder my carb last year.

Thanks Noddy.

Did a bit more asking around. As I understand it these are 'friction joints' and its not unusual for them to come adrift with age. I was told a gentle tap can be enough to reseat the pipe back into the housing. I've given this a go an so far so good. Any thoughts?

Cheers, Nigel

Only problem with tapping it back in is will it stay seated. If it does come out wilst driving you going to give your engine bay a good fuel soak. Apparently this is a common cause of engine fires.

If you do you down the route of tapping it back in, wire the hose clamp that holds the fuel pipe on to the pump to one of the screws that holds the pump halfs together. So if it should come loose again it wont pop out and cover the engine bay in fuel.

Was recomended this fix by someone on the samba for the carb feral.

I'm with Noddy on this flux and solder..... as said its popped out and will be a weaker fit, plus with a hammer and piece of wood are you sure its seated squarely

Latest posts