Fuel pump

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren2030

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi
Recently bought a so called ‘best quality’ alternator fuel pump for my 1641 rebuilt engine took him for a drive and couldn’t believe it leaked around the seal and screws having planed to go away that day camping for the week I had to change it to a cheap spare dynamo one I had. I also changed the pushrod to a 108mm lucky for me it fitted and runs so we could get away would it be ok to leave it on or would I need to get an alternator pump!? Basically would it make any difference?

Cheers

Go with that^^^ But, I would still get the other one changed over and keep it as a spare if you’re worried about the one you have on at the moment. You can always pressure test your pump with an old water bottle and see if it’s nearly past it or good to go for a bit. Laying on its side with your fuel pipe in about an inch or so into a 1.5- 2L empty water bottle, on cranking, it should just about hit the bottom of the bottle, if it does then it’s as good as new, if it’s half way then it’s a tad worn but good for ages yet, if it’s just a dribbler then get another organised as it’s gonna go sometime soon. When you do this, make sure your motor is immobilised with the rotor off or whatever, don’t spill nuffink, and don’t make sparks like leaving your coil lead off etc .

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,needs two peeps too :mrgreen:

Hi
Cheers ozziedog it was a new Gsf one I had but never used as I didn’t really like the look off it but it came good in the end as it was a Sunday morning and I was then off in the bus on hols 😎🙌 I’ll probably leave it for now and get a better one later just glad it went on being a dynamo type!

Thanks mate

I think that’s a fair shout. I had one from GSF that lasted less than a month and broke down less than five miles out of town which left bruv to go get a new one for me in his T 4,5,6,7, or whatever it was that he was driving :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,but the replacement has been with me for four or five years??? :mrgreen:

Jesus I think I’d better order me a new one then mate! 😂
By the way what is the best fuel pump you can buy on the market and where these days bud!? I have got an original pierburg which needs rebuilding but I don’t think that will fit with the alternator on? That most recent one I bought which cost me 30 quid leaked instantly!! ☹️🤬

I’d love to tell you it’s this one or that one but anything that has modern rubber in seems to have a fairly disastrous cock up rating, something to do with plasticisers instead of real rubber I’ve heard. Also the modern fuel ain’t exactly friendly either :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, good this petrol malarkey innit

Thanks for help fellas most appreciated as always I think I’ll have a crack at rebuilding the old original I’ve got see how that goes and also keep an eye out for any decent ones that come up!

Thanks again 🙏🏻

Latest posts