Fuel tank / mpg

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veedubt2

Reaction score
Hi,

I dont seem to be able to find what the correct fuel capacity is on an early 71 bay.

The info I have found is 40/ 50 or 60 litres, can anyone help with a true figure ?, and does 25mpg sound about right ?

Cheers
Daren

The tank is exactly 60 litres in an early bay.

My fuel gauge lies to me though, the gauge will go at least 10mm below empty and still have fuel in it. I don't think I've ever put more than 40 litres in at a time because of the dodgy gauge!

I aim for 30mpg with mine, but I do mostly long journeys.

With better twin carbs and a few tweaks 30-32mpg is entirely possible on a run, but you'll be lucky to get much more.

I have persuaded my bug (with a 1600 engine same as a van) to hit 40mpg at a constant 55mph followed by a load of 40mph dual carriageways. Buses are heavy things though, especially with a camping interior. Every weight saving helps :lol:

Keeping the van well serviced and tuned will really help the MPG. Things like timing, carb tuning, tappet adjustment etc should be done every 6000 miles, and oil changes every 3000. Check your manual for the full details of servicing.

Latest posts