Fuel venting

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny69

Reaction score
Can anyone help with this.

Filled the van up the other day - first time it's been filled up so high - anyway smell of fuel when going round corners. Looks like some fuel has spilled past the lockable fuel cap somehow so will need a new cap....I think however

Behind the fuel flap there is a metal pipe about a centimetre long to the left as you look at it and also a hole below the filler (is this a water drain hole perhaps?). Any ideas what the metal pipe is for - I'm starting to think the tank isn't vented properly as I can't see any rubber tubes at the top of the engine bay.

Any help greatly appreciated

The lockable fuel caps come with crap seals, buy yourself a sheet of thin cork off eBay and cut a better seal.

Not sure what the pipe is you talk about to the left, but the one below the filler is a water/fuel drain that comes down through the engine bay and then onto the floor.

Sent from my thl T6 pro using Tapatalk

the hole at the bottom is drain hole, the pipe to the side is a tank vent

two small boys (mine) took great delight in filling the space behind the flap up with sand (fuel) to within a couple of mm of the vent pipe. took me a long time to clean it all out and I was glad I caught them in time! hot chocolate was cancelled that night!

Hi, i think there is a small pipe next to the tank on the top front right hand side behind the firewall (RHD bus) this pipe then runs via a metal pipe to the tank, the metal pipe is joind to the tank and the vent by small lengths of what look like fuel hose these tend to perish over time, whilest your doing the tank it may be worth replacing all the fuel hoses,"make sure you use ethanol resistant hose as the new fuels rot the old type of hose" you can get it from JK, get my bus back from the paint shop tomorrow (Saturday) will take some photos and post them for you

Yours Vinvan

Yeah that's the same type of breather system I've got on my 69, kept getting fuel smell so checked these hoses and they're all good, I think the problem is the smell that vents to atmosphere behind the filler flap, particularly noticeable when it's hot out. Bloody annoying, wish I could think of a mod for this.

r73 said:
Yeah that's the same type of breather system I've got on my 69, kept getting fuel smell so checked these hoses and they're all good, I think the problem is the smell that vents to atmosphere behind the filler flap, particularly noticeable when it's hot out. Bloody annoying, wish I could think of a mod for this.

VW themselves did some mods on this exact system because I`m guessing of what you guys are saying. On the 71-72 then onwards they improved the whole shooting match several times to where it becomes a state of the art system. After 71 ish they ran the vent pipes right up inside the air intake vents and back down again with a little expansion thingy then back down to the tank using similar materials as you guys are talking about, flexi fuel pipe and lengths of solid pipe, these also suffered from neglect and the joints coming apart where the fuel pipe flexi rots away. Might have a picky somewhere, I`ll have a looksee. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Shouls be easy enough to cobble together :mrgreen:

This should give you a bit of an idea, and you can see the expansion thingy (technical name is that) .
I think that`s from a 72 UK bus as you can see by the rust :shock: Might even be able to get some from a scrapper from someone like `Rusty` on here, just a thought ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Don`t like them whiffs of fuel do we :? :? :?

Cheers Oz yeah thought the system could have been improved on!

My cross. Over also has a fuel smell from the top side vents
I've replaced all the hoses from the tank to the pump and the breather ones in the engine bay including the hard to get at one on the left that connects to the metal expansion pipe pictured above
Still the same weather it full or empty
I was wondering is the firewall removable without dropping the engine as I think the tank ones shown at the top of the thread must need doing
But I don't want to take the engine out if I can avoid it !
Thanks
Matt

Do you use regular fuel hose to join the tank to breather tube & pipe, I can't physically get it to fit on? The breather tube/pipe etc are much bigger than the standard fuel hose diameter. I'm considering buying some bigger fuel hose to do the job.

???

Simon

vinvan said:
As Promised some photos

Hope this helps
Vinvan

I think it's 8mm fuel pipe and this is where the issues arise as it's quite hard to get a decent fuel pipe in this size. I think modern motors are 6mm. It's a lol about being ethanol resistant at the mo.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, it's. A right laugh and innit :| :?: :(

Latest posts