Full roof replacement

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philstar

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Panel van
Right guys I have a 71 bay and a complete rust free roof with gutters that I need to put on, has anybody done this before, or know where I can find advice for the right way to go about it?

My current roof had a poptop which was sold before I bought the bus, and the current gutters are completely shot.

I'm happy to have a go at this myself, I'm just unsure how to position the new roof ready for welding...

any ideas?!

Phil

Yeah the new roof comes with gutters and a inch or two below it. I can't find that thread with the roof swap, there are some others but not very detailed, have you got a link for it?

Hi Phil,, I did one on mine and drilled out every spotweld on both roof s . And there`s a few :? The inner frame that holds the roof up also needed a lot of tlc with new-er sections fashioned here and there. The roof itself is one panel that includes the gutters. This is supported on a two piece box section that`s sort of squashed a bit to form a parallelogram with an upper and lower wing on opposite sides of the box, the lower `wing' for want of a better word, is the section the roof panel sits on and is hidden by the gutter of the roof panel. Where the roof meets the front posts, it`s brazed to finish off the roof on either side of the screen. Hope this helps, but I`m not about until next weekend I`m afraid :roll: Work is a four letter word. :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

Oz

What kinda record player do you have thatll play a parallelogram

theres no way you found that word out yourself or know what it means, you been at the dictionary again whilst on the stella

parallelogram-song_zps1db06966.png

stella_zps6f35aa32.jpg

squirrel_drinking_stella-artois-1-herman_zpsd0e0bb58.gif

jth

Best method is to drill out the spot welds on both roofs and refit the new roof, cutting through the pillars is the last resort as you have no way of welding up the inner sections that are in each pillar (theres quite a lot of internal structure in the pillar that you cant get to)

Graham L said:
Best method is to drill out the spot welds on both roofs and refit the new roof, cutting through the pillars is the last resort as you have no way of welding up the inner sections that are in each pillar (theres quite a lot of internal structure in the pillar that you cant get to)

You have to cut the pillars off at different levels outside and inside, weld each section of pillar and then fit a "hatch" over the hole left on the inner and outer sides.

Cheers guys this is great advice, I love this forum! Feel a bit more confident about doing it myself so long as the metal that's there is strong enough to repair.

I'll get an outdoor video camera for xmas and film it all when it goes ahead!

Hey there, I`m home for a bit now and if you want to talk through then give me a tinkle 07723 069937. It`s not a real biggy if you can weld and if you have a bit of control with a grinder for tidying up in the gutters, as that is really time consuming :roll: Bought a little air drive belt sander for finishing off in there. Don`t even hesitate if you wanna ring :mrgreen:
JTH ,,,,,,,,,,,That`s a great word innit :lol: I have squashed and squished loads of stuff in my time,,,,, hence I knew that word. Admittedly I had to use the spell checker before I posted :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Parrallelagram is me + Stella + floor :lol: ;) :roll: ;) :lol:

i did mine with my brother cut yr pillars at different levels if u can and have to .i left the corner complete up to the gutters and cut through the rear windows horizontally so the new roof fieed between the pillars for extra strenth .still its a bitch of a job to do :lol:

Latest posts