fuse box

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimthebin

Reaction score
dear all

my fuse box looks likes my two year old son has tried to build himself the short circuit robot out of a toaster and a dvd player also it doesn't seem to have a place in my van

where should the fuse box be in my 70 bay

and any ideas to tidy it up

any pics would be greatly

regards

jimthebin

Fuse box on my 70 SC.
P1010029-4.jpg

One bonus of an old works van is that no one has ever bothered to fit a stereo!

ProfessorWheeto said:
Fuse box on my 70 SC.
P1010029-4.jpg

One bonus of an old works van is that no one has ever bothered to fit a stereo!

Are you sure you have the right value of fuses in there? Normally only fuses 1 and 5 (from the left) are 16amp (red) the rest are 8 amps (white).

Are you sure you have the right value of fuses in there? Normally only fuses 1 and 5 (from the left) are 16amp (red) the rest are 8 amps (white).[/quote]

not being picky / nosey or even bitchy here clarkson46 but what is your profession because all you ever seem to do is come on here and pick fault when others are giving a helping hand!!..

RANT OVER

:evil: :| :twisted:

In this case I'd say Clarkson's post is useful to anyone / everyone reading the thread :) - Not picking fault as much as being helpful.

Gotta admit, I had no idea what fuses were meant to be each rating?

the picture was only posted to show where fuse box should be located,

not to be told he has wrong fuses. Clarkson has been trying to tell me my job on another thread.

and as for what fuses went where it all depends on what year bus you have..!!!
NO 1 FUSE IS ALWAYS ON THE LEFT!!
1968 - All 8 amps (white)

1969 - some all all 8 amps ( if you have the small 10 fuse holder..rocking horse poo style) amd some have 2 16 amps (if you have a US bus with 12 fuse fuse box ) then you should have 16 amp (red ) in 8 and 12 starting nearest the door.

1970 - now this year depends on your fuse box and if it ends in 505A then 16 amp fuses should be at 2 and 4. If its a 505B then 16 amp should be 8 and 12. i have also heard of a 505c box but not seen one so can not comment..the rest of the fuses are 8 amp white

1971 - Usa buses 16amp possition 2and3, uk and Europe imports etc 2 and 4..the rest of the fuses are 8 amp white.

1972 - This is the first year where both boxes are wired the same 16 amp in 3 and 4 counting from the door. the rest of the fuses are 8 amp white..

so now you see there are so many differences you could not go by that info posted earlier you need to go whats correct for your van, re age and country of origin..

Since this thread is developing into let's have a go at Clarkson, I'll set the record straight. I'm a retired electronics engineer with over 40 years of hard won experience of that industry as well as restoring, building and maintaining classic cars over that time. I learned a long time ago that when a lay person asks a question they usually have no idea what they are doing, so in order to help them keep it simple and give clear simple answers that will help them to learn. Going in with the professional's answer will usually confuse and scare them more. Most lay people do not have any of the expensive instruments that people like me used professionally, so we need to improvise and use basic tools and techniques, this may be slower but it gets there. As for suggesting that someone may have incorrect fittings or whatever is just my way of trying to help others as others have helped me when I've got stuck. Where safety is concerned there are no short cuts and I hope that by suggesting there is a potential safety issue I prevent someone's pride and joy going up in smoke. So if I've offended anyone I apologize but I was only trying to help something I'll think twice about in future.

Appology accepted, one small thing to remember though is VW for a strange reason upturned the fuse box so any drawing you see for it is in fact 180 degrees out.

so where you put fuse 1 and 5 should e 16 amp they are in fact fuse 12 and 8 ..

have been restoring dubs since 1989 now

Jon

I take your point about the fuse box, but I did ASK was he sure, I didn't tell him anything. I simply expressed an opinion that he may have a problem. For all you or I know that van could have been modified and those fuse ratings are now necessary.

I know its a mine field when you start on this game, but hence why i went through and listed the 16amp fuse placings for year and fuse box as per original spec as i have seen and noted, and as per original owners manuals and service books/wiring diagrams i use..

Jon

sorry about the rants but just like to get my points across, as sometimes u get people who sit there and read things on the net and take it as gospel. when they could be going up the wrong path, i remember a time before the net........god what did we do.. :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock: :? :? :?

oh and Clarkson to show no hard feelings, if your at Vanfest etc and we meet in the eve, maybe throw a beer or two down our necks and have a chat..

hows that..

8)

Blimey :shock:

The photo I posted was in the first batch of photos on my resto thread before I did any work to the van. Haven't had any blow or anything melt though but it'll all get checked when I fit my stereo. Thanks for the reminder anyway.

well thanks everyone

i definately am a lay person when it comes to electrics

so i will ask another question, by fuse no. 1 on the left does this mean the main power supply into the fuse box?

and if that is the case and it has been stated that the fuses should had specfic rating depending on where they are ie 2 or 4 i presume this all depends on what they are the fuse for ?

therfore what order should the bits of my van 1907 bay be wired up going left to right on the fuse box

ie position 2 head lights and ??? amp fuse

that should get the brains working on a tuesday afternoon

regards

jim

Jim

fuse no 1 is on the left hand side or nearside of bus ( if you are sat in bus looking at fuses) so thus makes fuse 1 side lights... on 1970

Fuse 1- top to switch (plain grey)
bottom (grey- front side lights, grey/red - rear tail os)
Fuse 2- linked from 1 (grey/black- rear tail ns)

Fuse 3- top of fuse( yellow from relay)
bottom (yellow/blk-, dipped beam - os)
Fuse 4- linked from 3
bottom ( yellow , dipped beam - ns)

Fuse 5 - top of Fuse (White from relay)
bottom ( White/blk - main beam os)

Fuse 6 - linked from 5
bottom (white and Blue/white main beam ns and warn light )

Fuse 7 - Spare

Fuse 8 - Top of fuse ( Green from term 15 ign switch)
Bottom (Wiper live feed)
fuse 9 - linked from 8
Bottom ( Green- live ign feed to hazzard switch)
( Black - ign live to feed gauges and warn lights)
Fuse 10 - linked from 8 also has Black wire to coil @rear
Bottom ( Black - ign live for horn/brake switch)

Fuse 11 - Top of fuse (Red - term 30 from light switch)
bottom (red term 30 hazzards,interior light,term 30 light relay)

Fuse 12 - linked from 11 (spare)

will that do

:D :roll:

Latest posts