gas smell

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panic_fan

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
microbus
anyone know what to check if you are smelling gas. I know that the later bays have fule vapor lines, and thats what everyone tells me to check. But early bays dont have em!

fuel pipes, pump, charcoal filter if its still connected (yank busses), filler neck for splits......

is there any time its worse i.e. after filling up or when the tank is filled to the gunnells?

Araon said:
fuel pipes, pump, charcoal filter if its still connected (yank busses), filler neck for splits......

is there any time its worse i.e. after filling up or when the tank is filled to the gunnells?

Well, I think the smell is coming from the opening in the cargo area to get to the tank. The neck looks ok from what I can tell. I think its just because that opening wasnt sealed and gas fumes were coming out. Not super strong, the wife could smell them in the back, but I couldnt really in the front...or Im used to it!

I think i am going to get some insulation and seal up that opening so I can still get to it if needed, but not let any fumes out. Any thoughts????????

so you have an access hatch cut into the cargo area to get to the sender unit then?

theres still a problem if your smelling the fumes, you have a leak somewhere and I would recommend you source it with some expediency....

sealing the hatch is just hiding the symptoms

if the engine was running rich and you had a hole in an exchanger, assuming they were plummed in well and working in the back you might get a strong whiff of fuel?

I should re-phrase, the gas smell was not that strong. I stuck my head down in the tank opening and look around. Even with my head in the area the smell was small. the neck looked to be in good shape.
I think its more of the wife not used to being in a vw.

Araon said:
as an aside any chance of a pic of this opening?

486730.jpg

Here is a pic, but I had already started sound proofing the cargo area....

Araon said:
what are you using for sound proofing

In that area I am using the peel and seal (roof flashing) then reflectix bubble wrap below wood then carpet. It seemed to work pretty good. I finished covering every gap. I am going to do the interior firewall but, I am going to use something a little heavier and the bubble wrap since the noise seems to come from there more.

Ok, Gas smell is WORSE. I think it is the fuel pump seal, or carb (float) getting stuck....
Can anyone help me? I have never took either one off/apart.
Here is a pic of my engine, just FYi....

THanks for any suggestions.
483537.jpg

have you check whether the petrol cap is leaking? Happened to me when I have a dodgy cap...

If the float is sticking you may notice petrol running down the carb onto the manifold if its bad enough, this is what happened to mine. Its easier to take the carb out to check the float, than in situ. Air filter and accelerator cable off and two bolts will take it out.

Your plastic fuel filter looks too close to the mainfold, i would be better to resituate it to be on the safe side.

Johnny said:
If the float is sticking you may notice petrol running down the carb onto the manifold if its bad enough, this is what happened to mine. Its easier to take the carb out to check the float, than in situ. Air filter and accelerator cable off and two bolts will take it out.

Your plastic fuel filter looks too close to the mainfold, i would be better to resituate it to be on the safe side.

Yea, I will relocate the filter behind firewall.
I found the gas leaking....
489550.jpg

I tightened the nut (about 1/4 turn) seems to have stopped the drip, but I think I still need to reseal the fuel pump.....

Latest posts