Gearbox Help needed

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starsailor

Reaction score
Hi all, hope everyone is making the most of the Indian summer!

Gearbox problems abound: I've gone for a sloppy but reliable box, to a tighter box (JK base plate), to 2nd popping out, to 2nd popping out and reverse hitting a forward gear when not under load.

I've been advised to try changing oil (checking for syncromesh on drain plugs), replacing mounts (box moving??), change linkages, and finally to buy a recon and bin the old!

Can someone please advise the best way to tackle this, I know it will be a matter of working my way through the issue but a kindly pointer in the right direction would be appreciated, here's hoping!

Chris and Doris

I had my box reconditioned last year - but thats a last resort action. If it's a problem it should have been making whining noises for a while, and getting louder. If it was just sloppy, and now giving section problems then that sounds like the linkage, and if you've recently been fiddling with the base plate then I'd suggest checking that it's correctly adjusted. Or try going back to the way it was (as a check).

on the linkage there are a few plastic bushes, the lead one under the shift is, i think, the most critical and easy to change. there is a swivel joint ahead of the gearbox and that might be worth checking. I'd suggest checking/changing these too before taking any drastic action (unless its been noisy for a while). You can do these without removing the gearbox and engine.

The front mount is more difficult to do, and involves undoing the engine mounts and gearbox mounts and pulling the engine back 2". i don't know if these wear out, but mine were 47years old and seemed indestructible.

the two shuttlecock bushes are probably not the cause of your problems, and need the gearbox out to replace.

not an experts opinion, just some limited experience.....

I have just renewed my Empi quick shift plate to stop the embarrassing "1st to reverse instead of 2nd" crunch on my bus. Just doing this cured my problem, so I would say it's probably down to adjusting the position of the plate -I found pulling it over to the left hand side whilst tightening the two bolts gave the best results. You also need to check that the reverse gear lockout mechanism is free from dirt and well lubricated - I have a trigger shift and found the spring needed re-bending as it had lost its uumph. I also then replaced the front end bush and the rear coupling - this just removed some of the excess gear lever waggling :mrgreen:

Thanks Guys....was thinking more along mounting plates as things got worse after a bottom out (not mine!!!) while leaving Eastnor

I put a recon gear box in last year which was tighter than my old me and my gear change was awful. I had a scat shifter fitted previously which helped due to my old box being worn but it was too tight for my new box. I fitted cheaper EMPI hurst shifter which was brilliant, it's a pleasure to drive now.

Latest posts