Gearbox mount query?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanya

Reaction score
Hello, i have recently got an early bay import from california as a project and we have got all the welding done and have managed to work out which starter motor we need but have now been stumped as we don't know what to do about the gearbox mount as the bay is an early 1971 but the gearbox housing is a much later ( deeper) one and so won't fit onto the gearbox mount. do we have to change the nose cone or can you get a modified mount for it? will post pictures in a mo am just charging my phone incase i have confused you!!

tia x

Not sure what gearbox you mean. Normally, to fit a later box in an early bay, you just need to swap over the steel bracket that is attached to the two studs on the nosecone.

Its the starter and/or bellhousing that sometimes needs swapping from one to the other to get it all to fit - just depends which box your swapping to.

Also, the boxes for the T4 engines have a slightly longer input shaft which may need shortening a little at the end - sometimes they fit just fine - again - just depends but its not hard.

Engine and starter are now fine we just are stumped by how to secure the gearbox as the mount doesn't fit a it's the one for an early bay not a late bay this is the gear box i have:
Percygearbox1.jpg

which it from a late bay so how do i secure it do i have to get a different bracket or change the nosecone or just modify the mount we have? if we have to modify it can anyone point me in the right direction for a thread on what to do?

Tia x

Do you have the rubber mounting (early) ?just need to fit the early bracket to the late box .put a wanted in For Sale &Wanted you never know.

I think we do have the mount bracket but it doesn't fit the end of the gear box am just uploading a picture of the end of the gearbox on the nose cone, do we have to remove the lower rubber ( u shaped bit) sticking out before we try to fit it using the early bay mount?
2012-06-30121529.jpg

Ok so think i have sussed where we are going wrong we need to take the u shaped brakcet and rubber off and attach the ealry bay bracket then we will be away! i 'think we have a bit that looks like thishttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T2-TYPE-2-EARLY-BAY-CAMPER-VAN-FRONT-GEARBOX-MOUNT-/130583831310?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e6767230e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but apparently i am missing the bit that is bolted onto the cone so can any of you lovely knowledgeable people link me to a pic of the bit iam missing as am going to stanford hall tomorrow so am hoping to find one! but have no clue what i am looking for!!

you want the item pictured in this thread

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30733&p=260059&hilit=gearbox+mount#p260059" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thank you fingers crossed i will find one!! does so iam sure does it slot into the other bit that i linked to on ebay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T2-TYPE-2-EARLY-BAY-CAMPER-VAN-FRONT-GEARBOX-MOUNT-/130583831310?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e6767230e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The one pictured earlier on the thread in the link given by Araon was actually one I sold some years back and this was a home brew copy (not by me mind)

frontgearboxmount.jpg

thanks for the pic we have the other part pictured we are just missing the L shaped bit are they still sold or will i have to make one?

You will have to try one of the many importer/breakers for that bit.

I have a question on topic. Does the early bay gearbox mount have a bush, or is is solid mount? Only ask as I have a 'judder' in first pulling away. I know the engine mounts are good so it's clutch or trans mount.

Cheers.

Latest posts