Gearbox problems

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris

Reaction score
hi,

I had a new gearbox and clutch (Later model type to replace original) fitted to my 68'camper approx 2 years ago. I was never totally impreesed with it as before long it started popping out of 1st gear and crunching when engaging 2nd, but changing the gear shifter to A EMPI quick shift seem to stop this, until recently when it started again.

Recently my gearbox has been very noisy in 4th, and now beging to do the same in 3rd. The noise it makes is not a whining, but a loud sound of the gears moving and appears to come and go and at times running over bumps in the road seems to affect it, i.e start the and stop the noise.

I know that the gearbox is well oiled as i had it checked on a service not long ago, other than that it has not been properlt checked out in any way.

Just to add to the fact that it has a later model gear box and cluth in it was due to original type for some reason crushing the thrust bearing. This happend a few time with different gearbox's so i was advised to try a later one and as since had no problems with the particular problem.

If anybody has any ideas of what the problem could be it would be much appreciated.

Could it be a problem with a bearing instide the gearbox?

cheers :?

Clutch release bearing crushing may be due to over tightened clutch cable.

Does noise increase with speed?
Could it be the clutch plate and not the box? ie warped clutch plate.

Latest posts