• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Gearbox

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Reaction score
Unfortunately I let someone fit a gearbox and it went bang on me while I was in Scotland. Bless the RAC (only three times in 20 years). Never again!! I am back to doing it myself and should have never let anyone near it.
I have the engine and gearbox out and need a gearbox that is working. This is a bit urgent really if anyone can help or can point me in the right direction, I have tried mega bug, volksheaven, volksmagic, and ebay has only one and the seller doesn't know what it is although its cheap. He says it would need to be rebuilt so no use really. Rebuilt ones are too expensive for me and 15 days is a long time. I am not wealthy money or time wise.
Can anyone help? Pretty please? A later gearbox (CE coded) would also be ok as I can swap the bell housing (although I need to know the correct amount of the input shaft that should stick out for an early 1600 engine. Can't tell from the one I've pulled as it is a late gearbox and probably not right and why it fell apart on me)

Roddy

Have you tried a wanted ad on Late Bay forums and VZI.

You could also try MCJ imports and Midland Early Bay.

They seem to be getting harder to find. you may have to dig deep on this 1 . either take a chance on a cheap 1 or pay big £££ on a reliable box.You can pay anything upto £700 on a early/late bay box secondhand :shock:

Hi Roddy

I have an unknown 1600 box- it has no oil in it and I really no idea on the code sure it was a CE but can check at the weekend [get back too late from London] - it's free to you but I'm in Peterborough and not coming to Norwich for awhile

cheers

Darren
also an old Techender!

Hi Roddy, I have a box that recently came out of my bus. It had a smooth change and stayed in gear but was a little bit whiney (not unbearable). I only replaced it because another cheap gearbox that didn't whine came up on here. Yours for £50.00, collect West Sussex. PM me if any use.

Jeremy

Hi Roddy

Sorry I did get your message the other day but have got nothing in stock at the moment, as people have said they are getting harder to find.

Latest posts