Gears sticking in 1st n 3rd

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T2t25

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Westy
Ok guys I’ve been driving around for a week or so now and just yesterday on the way down the A30 I got stuck in 3rd gear. I’ve tried to fit it again today. What’s happening is the little pin at the ball end of the gear stick is moving back and jamming up. I’ve been fettling for a few hours.
Since the rebuild I’ve never felt that the ball was far enough into the socket it’s kinda at the top this jamming up. Any help?
Thank you
Tracey

Last edited:
Ok guys I’ve been driving around for a week or so now and just yesterday on the way down the A30 I got stuck in 3rd gear. I’ve tried to fit it again today. What’s happening is the little pin at the ball end of the gear stick is moving back and jamming up. I’ve been fettling for a few hours.
Since the rebuild I’ve never felt that the ball was far enough into the socket it’s kinda at the top this jamming up. Any help?
Thank you
Tracey

This pin is sprung loaded from memory and should be pushed into the socket where it stays tight. It does require it wobbling into the socket before being tightened. Maybe the cause.

I can get the pin into the ball and lower the whole thing into the cup with the slot in it. When I’m putting it into 3rd the pin is slipping out of the slot if you know what I mean

I can get the pin into the ball and lower the whole thing into the cup with the slot in it. When I’m putting it into 3rd the pin is slipping out of the slot if you know what I mean
Seems strange, I would perhaps look at the plate adjustment in the cab to see if you can stop it doing this. Along with making sure the bushes on the road underneath are good.

Seems strange, I would perhaps look at the plate adjustment in the cab to see if you can stop it doing this. Along with making sure the bushes on the road underneath are good.
I’ll have another look in a mo, just cooking off as it’s absolutely baking down here today…. Not that im complaining!
I replaced the bushes under the van, if I remember correctly it was a pain in the butt the last time I did this.
Thanks for your help 😊

Is the spring in place, and strong? It should be a pain in the neck to put in place initially.

Is the spring in place, and strong? It should be a pain in the neck to put in place initially.
Hmmm strong, I won’t say it was strong. Maybe I need a new spring 🤔

Latest posts