Geeky early Devon question...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetwagens

Reaction score
Does anybody know of any early Devons with the concertina roof set back from the gutters like in the pic below?

poptop.jpg

There dont seem to be many around with this aluminium pop top surrout as oppised to the fibreglass surround that comes right down to the gutters? :? I'm wondering if this was an early 2 berth option without the bunks as the pop top is narrower? Any help gratefully recieved! 8)

Hi Dai
I think this was only available on a 68 model. Wasn't there one of these owned by a girl in airdiction?
Jon

seen one on a split ,but there was a sept? 67 devon with one at margam park 4-5 years ago.that was a girl that owned it ,one of the crew that ran the show.

I reckon that one may be a prototype to the one with the fibreglass shroud, and that would make sense if it was on late splits and very early bays. Might be worth a look round on the samba to see if there`s any truth in it :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, I just made that up !! :lol: ;) :lol:

Who knows :lol: I think the on referred to above is October/November '67 on an F plate, Original UK bus, do it might have been one of the first window busses that Devon could have got hold of, and the size of the pop top seems to suggest that they were not expecting the ridge in the roof that a bay has...

TheSamba is mostly US based, so wouldnt have this kind of detailed info. Splits with a 'Devon' roof were using the Martin Walker side elevating roof at the time, Ive had a few '67 splits with this side elevating one, more commonly seen later on Bay Dormobiles. 8)

Latest posts