Gunter - 69' Adventurewagen conversion + Dodge & crewcab projects

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the words of James May - oh cock

Halfway up the hill, m40 southbound just before jct 5 and there was a loss of power, rapidly followed by a lot of smoke. Pulled over with fire extinguishers at the ready to find a very oil soaked engine bay. Looks initially like its piston failure as the crank case is spitting out oil from every orifice!

Still sat in the recovery truck now on the m6. AA took 6 hours to recover us :(

smokehouse said:
the baywindow gods are mad out you for cutting a hole in the top of a perfectly good bus lol.

Looks like your right - would have thought the Gods would have better thing to do, but apparently not :evil:

No4 melted, the other 3 are in perfect condition! Swarf got into all of the engine bearings so new reqd, but the crank and cam look ok.

Done. New bearings, 1641 pistons/barrels, matching heads and a lick of paint. Just needs running in. Junked the 009 dizzy and went back to the vac advance.

Hi the Jones's,
Very interesting conversion. I am in the process of doing something very similar. I found a old spirit camper Hightop and want to install it on my 1977 tin top. I noticed the reenforcement that you welded in. What type of material did u use? Is it an L profile? Hard to tell from the picture. Almost looks like you welded it to the fiberglass. ;-)
Can you explain or even post a picture?
Thanks,
Heiko

Like what you have done to the bus 8)

Soz about the engine but you soon got it sorted so no biggy (apart from the coast!)

heiko910 said:
Hi the Jones's,
Very interesting conversion. I am in the process of doing something very similar. I found a old spirit camper Hightop and want to install it on my 1977 tin top. I noticed the reenforcement that you welded in. What type of material did u use? Is it an L profile? Hard to tell from the picture. Almost looks like you welded it to the fiberglass. ;-)
Thanks,
Heiko

Hi,

If you mean along the sides, its 4 or 5 mm flat bar welded between the inner re-enforcement bar and outer roof skin.
Front and rear of the roof cut is the original roof strengthening bar. If this isn't clear, let me know and inn see if I can find any pics...

gninnam said:
Like what you have done to the bus 8)

Soz about the engine but you soon got it sorted so no biggy (apart from the coast!)

Cheers. 1000 miles on a rebuild and its going good - touch wood... :lol:

Off to Cornwall a couple of weeks back...sleeping 5 of us in it pretty comfortably too.

thejones's said:
heiko910 said:
Hi the Jones's,
Thanks,
Heiko

Hi,

If you mean along the sides, its 4 or 5 mm flat bar welded between the inner re-enforcement bar and outer roof skin.
Front and rear of the roof cut is the original roof strengthening bar. If this isn't clear, let me know and inn see if I can find any pics...

I am finally back working on my conversion. Thanks for the explanation. I would love to see how you finished the upstairs interior and how you solved the pull out bed problem. how did you trim around the cut opening the soften the edges? Oh, before I forget to ask. Did you screw the wood braces (stringer) that you put under the plywood to the roof or did you just glue them? Same question for the aluminum brackets that I can see in one of the pictures, are they glue or bolted to the ceiling?
Keep up the good work.
thanks,
Heiko

Latest posts