Gunter - 69' Adventurewagen conversion + Dodge & crewcab projects

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejones's

Reaction score
After selling our crossover just over a week ago, I set off at half 5 this morning for a 9 hour round trip to fetch our next bus - a freshly imported 69 deluxe from California.

IMG_4808-1.jpg

registered and MOT'd within the past week, it came on a G plate which looks pretty cool. As for the MOT, should it have passed? Still on US red indicators so not sure - especially considering some of the 'issues'!

First impressions were good, rust free, nicely faded paint in the right area's and the usual niggles that the seller usually neglects to let you know over the phone - slack steering box, erratic idle, missing seals and no brake lights - which was a nice suprise considering the 160 odd mile trip home.

Here are the pics as she currently stands:

T2eC16NHJGQE9noMZGkzBQBrSgZyq_121.jpg

Half polished (or attempted!)
IMG_4812.jpg

IMG_4813.jpg

On the hunt for a bumper - we're not keen on the bare look!
T2eC16NHJGE9nm3orBQBrSfQew_121.jpg

Original rear seats in very good condition - these will be going in exchange for cooking/sleeping facilities
IMG_4806.jpg

Front seats are way past saving - scouring ebay for padded replacements...
IMG_4809.jpg

So far I've brought new seals for the cab/sliding doors and the boot hatch. Stripping out is next on the list ready for a 'camping' interior to be installed - what goes in we've yet to decide, but my wife's in charge of this so fingers crossed!!!

I'll update as we progress (or bicker over ideas!)

Like that mate , Where are you located ,as i think thats a Ipswich numberplate !

Grazy said:
Like that mate , Where are you located ,as i think thats a Ipswich numberplate !

How'd you mean?

Bus was from Colchester, so almost Ipswich - was only registered last week

They must use the same DVLA office to register , as the GV is an Ipswich area prefix ,

Did you get it from Jay at VW services ?

Grazy said:
They must use the same DVLA office to register , as the GV is an Ipswich area prefix ,

Did you get it from Jay at VW services ?

Ahh makes sense now.

Brought it off a guy named Clive - a car dealer that imports a few each year. His other car is a Dodge Viper - which is nice.

Managed to get a couple of days on the bus this week. Stripped out the rear microbus seats ready to put in the new interior - shame really as its very good condition so may sell on for someone that wants an og bus.

Stripped out the knackered headlining and the not too shabby doorcards. Floors had some very light surface rust that was treated and painted over. New floor fitted (B&Q laminate) and started fitting the units/R&R bed.

Struggling to get the old roof/window lining glue off - as we want the window surrounds to be OG paint.

All stripped out
IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

Floors treated/painted
IMG_1122.jpg

Family affair (the boss making sure the bed fits)
IMG_1146.jpg

Finally, had a few hours buffing/polishing the drivers side. Come up really well for 43 year old paint. A little patina on the front panel and above the deluxe trims, which looks just right.
IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

Next - finish the interior and knock up a headlining. Horseshoe plates arrived this week and picked this up a few days back
IMG_1123.jpg

Looking very nice indeed.. That paint has come up lovely, bet it took some elbow grease?!!!

Merlydog said:
Looking very nice indeed.. That paint has come up lovely, bet it took some elbow grease?!!!

Yeah, a fair few hours with a buffer :?

finally got the RR bed bolted in today. Fronts for the cupboards arrived last week so there going on. Finished cutting out the new door panels - darling wife will be covering them tomorrow :D

70db64c7.jpg

fdb898b1.jpg

Got 4 days off now so other than going to the Tatton park show, should see the wiring and lowering sorted.

Started modding the rearmost microbus seat to use as a front seat. All mountings and fitment now sorted, but removed again ready for re-covering. Original covers are in very good condition so may well be sold with the rest of the deluxe microbus interior.

Was alot easier then 1st thought. Lots of in/out and refitting of padding/covers to check for clearence. Although fixed, its in a position that both me and my wife are comfortable with - but also has scope to be moved either way by a few inches. Pics:

19be1fdf.jpg

94f2e0f5.jpg

cb5a0bc4.jpg

7d5cbb33.jpg

83e12c51.jpg

a1335386.jpg

hello
me and the misses were only talking about doing this today :shock:
did it involve much cutting to get it to fit ?
it looks top and much more practical :D
cheers norm

norm said:
hello
me and the misses were only talking about doing this today :shock:
did it involve much cutting to get it to fit ?
it looks top and much more practical :D
cheers norm

Not too bad - as long as you can weld. Took approx 60mm from the base and 40mm from the rear/top. Made a few brackets (all hidden when fitted). Its going to be recovered, although the original covers do actually fit really well.

cool looking bus and i love the bench seat mine is in the planning as we speak. keep the pics coming :D

hello
started mine today cut down and welded :D
if you dont mind any chance of pics of how you made the brackets to fix it down ?
cheers norm

Latest posts