Hannah the Montana Westfalia.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leon

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Westfalia
I’m not sure why I don’t use this forum anymore, but after a quick mooch around some old and new threads I’ve decided to document my build of Hannah.
I’ve known this bus for ten years when it first arrived from the USA and watched its progress from the previous owner. After a chance conversation with the previous owner following the sale of my last bus, and suggesting I was in the market for a new project, a deal was struck to buy this pretty unique and dare I say “rare” 1969 Montana red SO-69 Stockholm Westfalia.
I bought it in a state of partial repair and was stripped ready for a full restoration. Fortunately most of the original paint was still intact, but the chassis had been blasted of all its paint. A great base to do my thing to it and this is how I bought it last year.

I’ve been chipping away at it around other peoples projects and the first job I did was the repair of the passenger front arch, inner arch and sill repair. Funnily this bus was really badly rotten in these areas but pretty much solid everywhere else.

Inner arch, b post, sill.
Hmmm, doesn’t add pics in the order you select. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Ah well, you get the gist.

Hey Leon,
Looks like a worthy project :mrgreen: Maybe next season we can bang some tooooons out in the wee wee hours in some field somewhere 8) 8) 8)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,good to hear from you :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
Hey Leon,
Looks like a worthy project :mrgreen: Maybe next season we can bang some tooooons out in the wee wee hours in some field somewhere 8) 8) 8)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,good to hear from you :mrgreen:

Banking tunes out is defo up my street. With guitars I’m hoping?

Looking good and those are nice solid repairs.

Next year, without any bs, had to be a good season for us bussers... pfff, longing for it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk

Hey bud, I got two repairs to do, possibly more on the cargo floor slopey bit but not close to any mountings for anything. I’m gonna experiment just to see with a couple of slightly different approaches then check up on it again in a few years time. I’ve got some floor section courtesy of Davi (67panel) and I’ll do one side with trad approach as in clean up, cut out out till solid then weld a section in and two pack mastic over for a little protection, and on the nearside, I’ll prepare the same but I’m gonna glue a repair patch over from the underside about an inch overlapping all around and again some lovely two pack to cosset it a bit. I’ve heard lots of good things about panel adhesive but never used it, have you tried any bud?
As far as the guitars thing, sounds brilliant but I can’t play and I’m seriously jealous if you can. If you do start ‘A Strummin’ unfortunately, I’ll start singing and that’s not really a good thing, my voice ain’t too good, I can’t carry a tune, I forget all the words, and I sing the same lines over and over and unfortunately my volume control is a tad erratic, but apart from that, sounds great. :roll: :mrgreen: :roll:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,safer with spotty or my old I thingamabobbly

ozziedog said:
Hey bud, I got two repairs to do, possibly more on the cargo floor slopey bit but not close to any mountings for anything. I’m gonna experiment just to see with a couple of slightly different approaches then check up on it again in a few years time. I’ve got some floor section courtesy of Davi (67panel) and I’ll do one side with trad approach as in clean up, cut out out till solid then weld a section in and two pack mastic over for a little protection, and on the nearside, I’ll prepare the same but I’m gonna glue a repair patch over from the underside about an inch overlapping all around and again some lovely two pack to cosset it a bit. I’ve heard lots of good things about panel adhesive but never used it, have you tried any bud?
As far as the guitars thing, sounds brilliant but I can’t play and I’m seriously jealous if you can. If you do start ‘A Strummin’ unfortunately, I’ll start singing and that’s not really a good thing, my voice ain’t too good, I can’t carry a tune, I forget all the words, and I sing the same lines over and over and unfortunately my volume control is a tad erratic, but apart from that, sounds great. :roll: :mrgreen: :roll:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,safer with spotty or my old I thingamabobbly

I’m going to try some bonding products in the nit too distant future, so I’ll keep you informed.
My question is; why would you not just weld the second panel on as well?

Had a few late nights on Hannah and a good Christmas period. Got all the underside primed and raptored. Plus I’ve started to build up the chassis.
Roof canvas crimbo pressie fitted too. 😎👌

Thanks for the comments. 👍🏼

A little more progress on the Westy. Doesn’t feel like I’m making massive progress, but the deadline is set. I need it to be on the road by the end of march.
All the lights are now working, engine is in place and all the repairs are in high build primer and prepped. Just need to put some paint on it now.

Attachments

• 0ACE62AF-D209-44F2-84E2-DC9D41F27241.jpeg
    0ACE62AF-D209-44F2-84E2-DC9D41F27241.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 2F2649AC-7873-438E-9234-999102019BED.jpeg
    2F2649AC-7873-438E-9234-999102019BED.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 13
  • E4904EB8-2413-4177-911F-84C4888D0770.jpeg
    E4904EB8-2413-4177-911F-84C4888D0770.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • 67CC9422-0B43-45A2-BD1C-29160EBEA806.jpeg
    67CC9422-0B43-45A2-BD1C-29160EBEA806.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 12
  • FFA24F17-775E-4FE6-AD7A-6B5A71884B3E.jpeg
    FFA24F17-775E-4FE6-AD7A-6B5A71884B3E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • 77D08FB5-E921-4DCB-9B0A-C954BDF9BD7E.jpeg
    77D08FB5-E921-4DCB-9B0A-C954BDF9BD7E.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 1735EAF8-B17C-4D2D-A9B5-2C5BAC24CB25.jpeg
    1735EAF8-B17C-4D2D-A9B5-2C5BAC24CB25.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 18
  • C404A7EA-2A6D-4D05-BE82-0EB99F8CB25A.jpeg
    C404A7EA-2A6D-4D05-BE82-0EB99F8CB25A.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 16
Good work! Looks really great!

Thanks again.

She lives. Spent an hour fitting fuel lines and wiring and would you believe it, she fired up first time. Chuffed.

Attachments

• IMG_6626.MOV
    17.2 MB
Thanks again.

She lives. Spent an hour fitting fuel lines and wiring and would you believe it, she fired up first time. Chuffed.

Latest posts