Hardly Technical!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt84

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel almost embarrassed writing this - particularly in the technical area!

In a few places on my Westy now, mainly curtain rails / tie backs the screws have become loose and are now too big for the original hole.

I’ve simply inserted a larger gauge screw in the past but now even these are beginning to pop out.

What’s the best way to fill the hole before inserting another screw or is there some other genius workaround people use (short of welding!)

A silly question I know, but one I’ve always wondered!

Here’s a pic of an offending curtain rail before I wedge a bigger seal tapper in there!

Could you not use a cut down plastic rawlplug?

I fitted a few interior door cards/panels made of ply and rather than use the standard holes/clips I used some smaller screws with washers (which I think were from a split); To get the smaller screws to work, I just used some rawlplugs, which I cut down by about 10mm/20mm or so depending on where the panel was, so that they'd fit.

Riv nut is a good shout. Spring loaded toggle bolts will do the trick and really spread the load. If for any reason they loosen, they won’t affect your hole size and when you replace for a second time, dab a little super glue along the thread or thread lock and they’re good for a century. I’d try not to use anything using an expansion technique as the metal will be slightly stressed already. These are supposed to be great but a bit pricey at two for a fiver, caravan and motor van cavity fixings. Or any plasterboard toggle type fixing that has arms behind the fixing hole. Or glue a piece of plastic in there.
Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,theys getting old I’m thinking :)

Thanks for the speedy replies guys.
Rivnuts seem to be a great solution, struggling to find a supplier that will sell <1000 of the genuine article but there seem to be plenty of copycats out there that will do the trick!

Thanks again

Latest posts