Has anybody used a chassis tilter?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giraffeinbath

Reaction score
The body rollers look good but as they bolt onto the wheel hubs this means you have to have the engine and gear box in place to be able to use them.
Has anybody used one of these chassis tilters that bolt onto the bumper mounts?

Click here to take a look....

There's a picture of a transit or something if you click the pdf data sheet so I assume that the height shouldn't be a problem...

hi mate ,not used that type but had one that was 'home made' not by me may i add.it bolted onto the wheel studs and had two curved bar sections joined top and bottom
rolled a bay dormobile onto its side with it but it was stripped of interior/engine/gear box/pop top etc it worked fine
wouldnt really want to do it with a complete vehicle but as a 'shell' you could roll it yourself
took some pics of it with bay on and without will post em up if i can find 'em :D or you can pm me? and can send you them,would be easy to make if you can weld and bend scaffold tube
hope that helps :D :D

i have my bay on a roller at the minute, its not advisable to leave the engine in as you end up with oil where it shouldn't be :oops:

you can remove engine etc

sorry no pics as my camera is palying funny buggers at the moment sorry

found the pics with the bay on roller
IMG_1930.jpg

IMG_1931.jpg

IMG_1934.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1926.jpg

IMG_1924.jpg

with wheels under it and using a trolley jack it was possible to drag it in and out of the garage ,not got the dimensions but the critical bit is the plate that bolts to wheel studs

Justin & Mutley said:
Surely you don't wheel it in and out on a creeper board and trolley jack!! :shock: :shock:

;)

funny i was thinking the same thing :shock:

trolley jack and creeper board worked fine . .. .main reason was for 'headroom' to get it in and out the garage as you cant roll it in the garage so got to be done outside then shove it in
actually easier to move than you would think and and can be done on your own with a bit of thought
dont do it now as we sold the bay as a project and the guy that bought it bought the roller too :lol: :lol:

Johnny said:
Justin & Mutley said:
Surely you don't wheel it in and out on a creeper board and trolley jack!! :shock: :shock:

;)

funny i was thinking the same thing :shock:

Proper red neck :lol:

Its okay I cant say anything, look what I was using for an engine stand for my wedge diesel hahaha :shock: :roll:

DSC00041.jpg

Is the van OK with the weight supported by just the trailing arm without the support of the drive shaft connected to the gearbox? I was assuming that this wouldn't be able to support it but then I was anticipating rolling it with the interior still fitted.

I was thinking of the devices that attach to the body so you can roll the van without the hubs fitted. Spoke to the chap at CJ auto's today and this sounds good, although expensive.

Here's his website
, here's a link to a YouTube video with it in action.

Anyone used one of these?

I am very very tempted by one of those rollers I must admit - the difference it would make working on the van.....

So - what do we think you have to remove from an 'average' Bay in order to safely use one of these - do you think that simply removing the engine (and fuel) is all that is required to safely roll ones van?

angus said:
So - what do we think you have to remove from an 'average' Bay in order to safely use one of these - do you think that simply removing the engine (and fuel) is all that is required to safely roll ones van?

I would bag up your brake fluid reservoir (& possibly unclip it & tie it up upright) if its not been emptied, remove battery & take the milk out of the fridge :wink:

I took engine and gearbox out to reduce weight , removed battery and covered over the brake fluid reservoir. If I was doing it again I would probably not bother with removing the gearbox.

I also felt much happier with the supporting legs that you can see in the picture

DSC04111.jpg

Basic roller was bought off ebay , but crossbar linking two rollers together was an upgrade I made to stop the whole thing trying to twist.

I also added the support legs that bolt on the bumper mounts. Made it one heck of a lot easier and safer to jack up.

i brought the basic roller from cj autos at bvf,he sold me the display model at a special price rather than take it home.
they supply the rollers to frost.the basic model doesnt come with wide five adaptors so you need to buy these aswell or get some made up.

Latest posts