Head jobs- Gauging interest....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonboylaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many if you would be interested in having your cylinder heads mildly flowed and a 3 angled valve job done?
The focus would be on standard bore heads (1600) with standard valve sizes with the intent to get them flowing better for good torque. Bigger valve heads could be accommodated.
There are plenty of big valve heads with super high flow but to be honest, they would be crap in a bus. I am looking to provide a service for your average bus engine, and getting things as good as they can be without needing a high revving engine to make use of it.

It would likely be that you send me your heads, cleaned as best you can, in good serviceable condition. I would then mildly flow them and do the valves and seats. This should give you around 10% increase over stock and probably a fair bit more if your heads have a few miles on them.

Costs depends on what you want, but a valve grind and 30/45/60 seat cut would be around £20 per valve. This would include final lapping for a perfect seal. Flowing would be additional.

I have the correct tools (seat grinder, stones, valve grinder/tipper) so not a cheapy job done with a single cutter.

Other seat angles and sizes could be accommodated.

The heads will need to be stripped of the rocker assemblies, free from oily gunk, no cracks, guides in spec and seats suitable for grinding. If not I may be able to get new guides and/or seats fitted at extra cost.

Just gauging interest for now.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

To start the replies rolling, I'll probably be looking to get this done soon on a 1955cc build... :)

No idea what sort of prices are usual though - I do get the impression a lot of people just throw 1600s together...

Hi Karl,
Yes 1200s valve and seat grinds, no problem.

Tofufi,
Is that a 90.5 bore? Would be fine. I am not doing race heads, just a decent valve job and some port work. No idea what others would charge, just looking at my time and costs at the moment and what would be reasonable for such a service.
I am aiming at those that are looking for an improvement in usable torque and power, specifically for bus applications, where most of the after market heads are overkill.

Would be very interested when we get back as have a few engine jobs to sort out so could send them off at the same time.
Only issue still a novice so I wouldn't be sure if my heads match the last part of your post about guides in spec and seats etc...

I could be interested in this service, depending on when you start it up and your turn around times.
I've got my engine in bits at the moment....

I'd be interested in this. I've had a pair of new VW stock 1600 heads in the garage for a couple of years now. I always intended to have a go myself but would go for a service where I could just post them off to get the job done. Not interested in big valves or anything like that, just a bit better flow and good seal.

I guess it depends on price but £20 a valve sounds ok to me + whatever the post turns out to be.

Well there seems to be some interest so perhaps the best thing would be for me to do one set for one of you and get the feedback and take it from there.
If interested PM me and we can sort it.

A couple of pictures of a scrap practise head.

This is showing the inlet seat grind. 60/45/30 angles cut.

5c862c0097bf48846e94bf768f913d21.jpg

Here is the inlet valve showing its new face grind @45 degrees, a 30 degree back grind to help flow and the grey line you see is the sealing surface after lapping the valve.

9e22e5ae533ad4063cf050c77e8daaff.jpg

I'll be flowing a scrap head next week and will upload some photos.

when i switched from single port to twin with DRLA's
i went for "tims super stock" heads:

37.5x32 "Super" Stock heads. A perfect upgrade for your stock dual port heads. These heads feature a larger 37.5 mm intake valve. Valve seat area is hand blended to ports. Stainless Steel valves, 3 angle valve job. 85.5 bore $219 each.

well worth it

have you thought about buying blank heads and doing this?

Getting hold of good quality blanks is difficult and not everyone wants new heads, but it is an option.

Another point is that the stock valve size is sufficient for a bus application, making them larger means widening the ports and this drops the airflow at low RPM which is not what you want for good torque. Those heads would be better suited to a beetle in my opinion. I run stock valve size on my twin drla 1955 motor and that pulls very nicely indeed.

the the ports weren't widened on the heads
just blended TBH (and theres plenty of torque believe me)
the point i was trying to make was to make (badly) is theres
definitely a market for this with mild porting/blending
3 angle valve job

Ah got you, it was a tad lost. Yes I do believe these is a service. I will start this off in the next couple of weeks.
Once up and running I will look at possibly taking some blanks if I can get a good price on them.
I'll be able to replace guides, just getting the correct tooling sorted for this.
Stainless valves can also be supplied but I am not in favour of the hermetic cheap SS valves and would only recommend Berg or Manley or other quality named brands, not generic Chinese or Indian valves.

Ey bud, I don't suppose you're tooled up to replace valve seats entirely? One of 'em popped out of a head of mine on Thursday, I've replaced the head for now but would like to put the original back in.

Cheers

Simon

sounds good to me was wondering what to do with my motor while it's out to get a little axtra torque for those pescy hills....

jonboylaw said:
Ah got you, it was a tad lost. Yes I do believe these is a service. I will start this off in the next couple of weeks.
Once up and running I will look at possibly taking some blanks if I can get a good price on them.
I'll be able to replace guides, just getting the correct tooling sorted for this.
Stainless valves can also be supplied but I am not in favour of the hermetic cheap SS valves and would only recommend Berg or Manley or other quality named brands, not generic Chinese or Indian valves.

We can help you with the heads and valves,

Heads wise we can get Autolinea which is what VW use, or we can get other makes as to preference.

Valves wise we can get you Manley's or Ivam's both are quality stainless valves.

Here are a few more pictures of a couple of heads I port matched and did the valve/ seats on.

Inlet manifold ready for grinding:
daab551dd485f235dacba7cd767355ef.jpg

Post grind:
d375b383930c9b8e434bb74e3bb57b2d.jpg

Brand new Brazilian head, covered in transport wax.
18f33e79986b9271af666e7b1cc4f7c7.jpg

57e41c92ca2da7107ab6f40c29cd2088.jpg

Inlet ports blended to gasket
dd43eb6c83759808beb05b46d5540f15.jpg

330e4e36b2083868399e6479847836ee.jpg

d5cfad58e84aec99d4b4749b176777f9.jpg

Back grinding the valves
c6befb4e5bad8fa464c56eda8209da0f.jpg

dfb069821cc16900ea0cc14ef8c60779.jpg

65c866f90677a48f8ed7b81d42d7f6dd.jpg

And the seats ground 60/45/30
afd43c6d6cc11041bd1653c411c93dd0.jpg