Headlight flasher not working

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rippers

Reaction score
The lights work fine, the high beams switch on/off but the actual flasher doesn't work if I pull the stalk up. Firstly do these buses even have a flasher? secondly assuming they do any tips as to what to look for to get it working?

Mines the same. I understand that US buses don't flash. You have to change the relay.

Heritage do them. I got mine a few months ago. There's an extra terminal on it (5 instead of 4) and it needs a permanent live. You can then flash your fellow vee dub drivers when they come the other way rather than turning your lights on and off. :p

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Headlamp-Relay-12-v-Flash-Dip-5-Terminals-111941583AC_act_shop.product_pID_59778_lang_EN_country_GB.htm?crumbStartPage=1&crumbStartRow=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Old thread resurrection. I've often wondered if my old bus could be made to flash, he's a US import so I was pleased I found this old post.

I've got a ton of 5 pin relays in the garage, could someone share the wire up. I'm assuming I've got a 4 pin so there's a terminal that's got to be added.
Thanks in advance
Pg

My 71 US Westy flash only worked with the headlights on. Changed to UK and they work without headlights on.

Last edited:
One quirk of South African specification 1968~79 VW Type 2s, in common with those of North American specification, is that they lack the headlamp flasher facility that is common to British & European specification 1968~79 VW Type 2s, as discussed in the following topic thread. This facility would be considered to be almost essential in Great Britain & Europe.

Forum Index > Bay Window Bus > Refurbishing & upgrading 1968~79 VW Type 2 headlamp systems

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=323108

I think you will find that at at least some, if not all, South African specification, 1968~79 VW Type 2s also lack the headlamp flashing facility owing to having a 4-terminal headlamp dipping relay, rather than a 5-terminal headlamp dip & flasher relay.

The 5-terminal configuration of the British & European specification, headlamp dip & flasher relay for the VW-Audi (VW part No. 411 941 883B), labelled 30, 56, 56a, 56b and S; terminal 30 being in the same position as the locating lug (not an electrical blade-terminal) of the North American specification headlamp dimmer relay. It is terminal 30, connected by a red 2·5 mm² cable, to the positive battery supply (i.e. unfused side of fusebox terminal), which confers the facility of flashing the headlamp main beams, using the steering-column mounted, headlamp dimmer stalk-switch, without the need to turn on the dashboard-mounted, main light switch.

328148.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=327513

327513.jpg

1968~79 VW Type 2 headlamp circuits (factory-standard & modified for high-power bulbs using accessory relays) with option of headlamp flasher facility

1992459.jpg

1992458.jpg

Thanks Mike 👍
reads (post by @67panel )
"from my experiance its only US spec that dont have flash conected,all thats needed is live to terminal 30."

That's quite straightforward so I'll do that when I get back and post up the result

Latest posts