Headlight question, really urgent one

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
MoT is now (over)due and one of the things on my list is sorting the headlights out.

I'm on a real budget here, so the cheapest option is what I'm looking for.

My question is, can I fit late bay lamps in an early bay? JK have got late bay (1 screw) units on the cheap at the moment, and I can replace both complete lamps for about the same price as one Hella 3 screw unit. This obviously appeals to me greatly as I'd like to chuck H4's in for a bit more light, but will they fit? I know they're the same size, but does everything line up between an early bay front end a late bay lamp unit?

Please help. We're supposed to be going away next weekend in the van, without lights, the's no MoT, without MoT, we'll have to go in a "normal" car. :cry:

An alternative option is to replace te reflectors in my current lamps, but I need them cheap (£20 each sort of cheap)....... Any offers?

lamps should fit because if you change the front panel you would be fitting a later front, and the mount for the 1 long screw for the trim and what would hold on a beelte type lamp unit would be the same..

or do you mean they have the 3 screw fixing lamps cheap, either way they should fit.

jon

58herbie said:
lamps should fit because if you change the front panel you would be fitting a later front, and the mount for the 1 long screw for the trim and what would hold on a beelte type lamp unit would be the same..

or do you mean they have the 3 screw fixing lamps cheap, either way they should fit.

jon

Cheers. I'll give JK a ring tomorrow morning and ask if it'll fit. If they say it will, then I've got some comeback if it doesn't all go as planned. If they strongly advise against it (why should they?), then I'll try and get hold of a set of Mk1 golf lamps.

Stand by for results tomorrow...

i've just fitted some late bug/mk1 golf lamps to our 70 westy, screwed straight in no mods needed so you should have no bother..

Passion Fingers said:
I'm having a look through fleabay at the moment. All the Mk1 golf units don't look like they'll fit. Does the same 3 screw rim fit over them or do I need to get hold of a 1 screw rim?

Well on our '68 there is only 1 screw to mount the rim which fits to the panel and not the headlamp unit. The headlamp unit from the Golf uses 3 self taps to mount it to the front panel. Is this what you mean by a 3 screw unit??

My rim (headlamp rim before the sniggering starts) has three holes through it, one is a mounting screw that goes through a tag in the headlamp bowl on the van, the other two are adjusting screws for the headlamp alignment.

It now looks like a Mk1 headlamp will fit, but I'll need to get a 1 screw rim to go over them.

Latest posts